• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root What's going on with the kernels and rooting? SDX Drama Island

Othan1

Android Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2010
San Diego
My problem isn't with rooting, my problem is with keeping up with the drama that SDX and friends are bringing. When I first bought my Moment and started the process of getting to know it intimately, everyone was happy and working together. Now it seems Zefie and SDX are fighting and I can't keep up with the threads any more.

I've gone over there to try to piece together what's going on, are they back working together, are they still fighting, etc., but it's a disorganized mess.

Because of all that childish behavior, I'm seriously considering just going stock because who knows what's going on with the kernels now. And, although I've been a HUGE proponent of rooting, I couldn't recommend it to anyone right now because of the drama.

If Numus (or someone else) could just post a single thread over there explaining what's going on with everything, that'd be helpful but right now it's like a bunch of toddlers crying about who's playing with who's balls.

So, is there anyone who could give me a summary of where they are? I can't figure it out from the multitudes of threads over there because every time I read one that says they're all buddy-buddy again, I read another where Zefie's saying he's put "proprietary code" in that will screw your Moment up if you use SDX code.

i've been there from the start, so here's what i know...

there was quite a bit of drama as you know, so i won't go into the specifics or take sides, because it probably wasn't handled the best from both sides and a lot of words were spoken out of anger... but both sides have done wonders for this phone.

anyways, zefie and SDX has gone their separate ways.

zefie has started up his own forum: http://midnightchannel.net/index.php; where he has his updates and such. he's still creating kernels and working on things to improve the phone - and no, i don't think he'd do anything to cause our phones to crash (plus, there are ramifications if he does). as for the comment about screwing up our phones - he wanted to make sure everyone knew that his file depo is located from the link on his website... and that he couldn't guarantee anything that was hosted on a mirror site or someone else's depository... i think he's just covering his butt in case someone decides to change his code and mess up someone else's phone... so if you want zefie's kernels (anything over 10.3, since 10.3 and below is "shared" by everyone), go to midnightchannel.net and get it from there.

it's also probably easier to follow him on twitter (zefie)... his site is just starting up and not may people know about it other than those who've been following him.

SDX has moved on as well - there are a few people that are creating kernels on their own; but there's still the learning curve to catch up to where zefie is. they're also working on 2.1 as well; but like i said, there's still work to be done. there are a ton of sweet themes done though... :)

hope that helps.

Upvote 0
i've been there from the start, so here's what i know...

there was quite a bit of drama as you know, so i won't go into the specifics or take sides, because it probably wasn't handled the best from both sides and a lot of words were spoken out of anger... but both sides have done wonders for this phone.

anyways, zefie and SDX has gone their separate ways.

zefie has started up his own forum: http://midnightchannel.net/index.php; where he has his updates and such. he's still creating kernels and working on things to improve the phone - and no, i don't think he'd do anything to cause our phones to crash (plus, there are ramifications if he does)

it's also probably easier to follow him on twitter (zefie)... his site is just starting up and not may people know about it other than those who've been following him.

SDX has moved on as well - there are a few people that are creating kernels on their own; but there's still the learning curve to catch up to where zefie is. they're also working on 2.1 as well; but like i said, there's still work to be done. there are a ton of sweet themes done though... :)

hope that helps.

I was planning on just following Zefie's twitter until everything got sorted out, but it and the midnightchannel link are all 404.

Edit: Seems I had a bad character in my saved Bookmark. But i'm still getting the 404 on Zefie's twitter; not as big a deal, though, now that I can access the boards. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
I was planning on just following Zefie's twitter until everything got sorted out, but it and the midnightchannel link are all 404.

Edit: Seems I had a bad character in my saved Bookmark. But i'm still getting the 404 on Zefie's twitter; not as big a deal, though, now that I can access the boards. Thank you again.

here's his twitter: zefie (zefie) on Twitter

Upvote 0
Could have just asked this in a pm instead of posting a new thread..
SDX and zefie went there own ways.. SDX has 3 people now working on different methods to optimize and fix the kernel.. Not much can be done after the point that it is currently at, since that is the limitations of OS 1.5 and cupcake (plus cyanogen hasent really released anything new in kernel development in general)... As for 2.1... I can tell you we are getting very positive work being done in 2.1... We are experimenting with a method to modify the current 2.6.27 kernel to work with 2.1 instead of porting everything into a 2.6.29 kernel...

Upvote 0
Could have just asked this in a pm instead of posting a new thread..
SDX and zefie went there own ways.. SDX has 3 people now working on different methods to optimize and fix the kernel.. Not much can be done after the point that it is currently at, since that is the limitations of OS 1.5 and cupcake (plus cyanogen hasent really released anything new in kernel development in general)... As for 2.1... I can tell you we are getting very positive work being done in 2.1... We are experimenting with a method to modify the current 2.6.27 kernel to work with 2.1 instead of porting everything into a 2.6.29 kernel...

My apologies. I thought you had left these forums and I didn't think to PM you over there because I was a bit frustrated with trying to figure out what was going on and knew you didn't like being asked the same questions over and over so I didn't want to exasperate the (perceived) frustrations on y'all's end.

Thanks for speaking up and letting us know first hand. Y'all're still doing great work; just difficult keeping up with you all sometimes.

Upvote 0
Looks like Joey's Kernel is pretty fast and can be flashed on top of 10.3 so that sounds pretty sweet!
Ya.. and it is stripped down to the bare minimums so it is very compact.. everything has been recompiled with the uclibc toolchain i believe and there is no cross partition referencing (everything is integrated into bml4 so there is no mounting /extra in bml8)... sam1el is taking a slightly different approach,but very similar (joey and sam1el work together a lot on these kernels) and the sam kernel is more directed towards a stable 2.6.27 to then be ported into a 2.6.29 kernel for android 2.1... while joey seems to be geared towards staying as a 2.6.27 kernel that is just optimized to run as fast as possible..
I also talked to maxdamage today about his recovery v2 that should be coming out soon.. it is going to be pretty damn awesome

Upvote 0
forget the drama and lets move on.

the more help we have developing and testing the better. thanks for the interest and support! want to make the moment the best phone possible.

if you have any worries about loading a kernel, read through the thread and look at the feedback its received. if people complain it doesnt work, dont use it. if people compliant the work and enjoy it, use it.

don't let the drama bog you down!

Upvote 0
heh. Well, i was trying to let the thread die but since you've posted, let me say this:

Zefie who? Since loading your kernels on my phone, the thing is flying like never before. And battery life is phenomenal. I don't know if Numus gave you a super-special updated battery code but man...the phone is awesome.

My only niggle is the camera; way too slow. Doubt there're any magic programming that can fix that, but I have hope for the future.

edit: Not meaning to slight Zefie; he does great work, too, but was never as fast as yours.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones