1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Whats going on?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by icrazy2u, Aug 18, 2011.

1. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    I'm lost, I've been away from the android world for a while. I know theres a new OTA, so what does that mean? Why does it have everyone unrooting? What ROM do you guys prefer I use (newest OTA preferred)? Just help a brotha out right now. I'm lost.

Advertisement

2. euph_22

euph_22 Android Expert
    None

Feb 24, 2010
    Grad Student (Applied/Computational Math)
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't care what rom you use...it's your phone.

OH, you meant "what rom do you recommend?"

The newest ota (ok, the ota isn't out yet. We do have a leak, that is almost certainly the current version of the official software. This is what the rom is from.).

I don't know why people are unrooting, they shouldn't. We keeping telling people to stay rooted and install it as the update as a rom, but they apparently don't listen very well.

As far as what roms I'd recommend...at the moment I'd only recommend the update. Everything else is obsolete since it's based on the AOSP code, and not the incredible specific software/firmware/drivers. Which isn't to say OMG you need to get rid of CM7/MIUI/whatever rom you're running. There are plenty of great roms out there at the moment. However, whenever they can integrate this new release into those roms, they will get way better.

So, long story short, if you're happy with what you have for the moment stick with it till the new stuff gets out. If you want to try the new official release, I highly recommend it.

icrazy2u likes this.
  3. sdrawkcab25

sdrawkcab25 Android Expert

Aug 5, 2010
    Male
    PA
    the official gingerbread ota had been leaked and is available to install as a rom. Some people are choosing to unroot so they receive the update through official channels (in my opinion is completely unnecessary)

jeffgman and icrazy2u like this.
  4. icrazy2u

icrazy2u Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 1, 2010
    Alrighty. Guess I'll stick with my current Rom and see what new comes out.