1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Whats is the Advantage of using Windows with my Note 5?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Nick Andriash, May 22, 2016.

1. Nick Andriash

Nick Andriash Newbie
    None

Sep 1, 2015
    Male
    Retired Paramedic
    Courtenay, B.C. Canada
    I currently have a 2011 17" MacBook Pro, and recently have given up on Apple iPhone's. I now own a Note 5 and will most certainly be getting the new Note 6 when it comes out. Right now I cannot even connect my Note 5 to my Apple laptop, so I was wondering what advantage will purchasing a new 15-17" Windows Laptop afford me in terms of the interaction between my Note 5/6 and the Windows Laptop, or should I just stay with my Apple Laptop?

Advertisement

2. Bg260

Bg260  
    VIP Member

Apr 30, 2016
    Male
    Freelance Entrepreneur
    Lincoln
    My understanding is, if your Android won't communicate with your laptop it can be a number of things. Mainly a driver issue. I'm a Windows guy though.

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/downloads

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    I'm not sure what you wish to do by connecting your phone to your PC. I do it so infrequently and it's either to flash something or a simple file copy. Macbooks can be problematic with android devices, but otherwise are very nice machines. Perhaps connecting and copying files might be easier on a PC, but then any software you've purchased for your Mac will have to be purchased all over again as licences generally don't cross platforms.

As for connecting your Note 5 to your Mac now. Which version of Android do you have on your Note 5? With Marshmallow (6.0) connecting a phone to a USB host is now defaulted to charge only so it won't mount on a Mac or a PC. You have to drop down the notification bar and select USB options to change it to MTP mode.

Bg260 likes this.
  4. Nick Andriash

Nick Andriash Newbie
    None

Sep 1, 2015
    Male
    Retired Paramedic
    Courtenay, B.C. Canada
    Thanks for everyone's replies. I wasn't sure what PC owners were doing with their Android devices that I could not do with my Apple Laptop, but you have answered that question.

Thanks again for the replies,

Nick

lunatic59 likes this.