1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What's killing my battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by djnott, Dec 23, 2012.

1. djnott

djnott Newbie

A week ago my battery would have 30% left at bed time now it's almost dead at noon. What's happening? I've loaded some new apps, 1 was a live wall paper, I've uninstalled it. But it's not making a y difference. What's going on?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. zanderini

zanderini Newbie

Look in battery setting and see what is draining also clear your ram

3. silentwitness

silentwitness Android Expert

install GSam Battery monitor then charge ure phone full and let it discharge and you can see what app is using how much of ure battery.

milordman and Rxpert83 like this.
  4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Betterbatterystats is also a great application for pinning down battery killers

5. scooz16

scooz16 Well-Known Member

I notice mine is awake much more after the JB update. This is with google now switched off.

6. silentwitness

@scooz16 try installing gsam battery and see which app is waking ure device and holding it awake.

Rxpert83 and milordman like this.
  7. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Yep. I find this very useful.

8. djnott

djnott Newbie

I'll try it now.

9. BroncoDroid

BroncoDroid Newbie

There was a long 20+ page thread about JB battery issues earlier. Several tests with betterbatterystats later it ended up being Samsung accounts draining all of their battery. Check to see if you have any samsung accounts that are syncing.

I'm looking for the thread, no luck so far.

10. racefan25

racefan25 Member

mine lost 2% of battery 1 minute after it was unpluged the other day and that was connected to WIFI then I shut wifi off wne went to work and down to 65% after 2 hours and dead 5 hours into day and never used the phone at all. No emails or text nothing and dead after 5 hours. Friday I noticed I had 68% of the time I have no service for the reason my phone was drained in the battery screen. This phone has the worst reception of any phone I have ever owned.

11. barney_rebel

barney_rebel Android Enthusiast

Root it, freeze all the samsung crap...

12. HHNoob

HHNoob Lurker

Mine seemed to drain very fast also. It had lost 25% in 4 hours while not being in use.

I turned off syncing globally and it seems to do the trick. I got 13 hours out of it but with close to 7 hours of screen time. I played Most Wanted almost 45 min out of those 7 hours (representing 26% of battery usage according to gsam). I won't use it that much in normal circumstances so we'll see if it gets better, but turning off global syncing helped a lot as it lost barely 1% in 1 hour while not being in use (now to find out what wants to sync so bad...).

EDIT: I do have power saving mode turned on with brightness turned all the way down, but gps and wifi are both on and I don't feel like I'm sacrificing any of the experience the way things are configured right now, i.e. this is a real-life config.

13. scooz16

So gsam is telling me google search and maps are the biggest culprits. Now what??

Before JB if my screen was off i would hardly ever see little ticks that the phone was awake, now its happening every few minutes. Please help, thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

If Google Search and Maps are the biggest drain, it doesn't sound like you were successful in shutting down Google Now.

15. scooz16

I triple checked. Its Def. off. What else could it be? Those ticks awake shouldn't be happening that often right?

In my "running applications" it does list maps twice and both are running..is that weird?

16. phil75231

phil75231 Well-Known Member

That does sound weird. Not sure then. There are folks here that are a whole lot more knowledgeable than I that could help. Good luck. :)

17. silentwitness

by any chance are u rooted? I had a similar issue with maps and ended up freezing it in titanium backup so it was not running anymore. When required unfreeze.

18. scooz16

I am not rooted

19. silentwitness

ok then go to settings --> Application manager --> All and scroll down to maps and click on it and see if u get an option to force stop and disable. Try force stopping the maps and then click on disable.

20. djnott

djnott Newbie

where do you fine that? I have an s3 and can't locate it.

21. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

Turn your GPS off.
    Also, try uninstalling Maps and reinstall. Some of the upgrades don't go well.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews