• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help What's needed to watch movies on the TF?

2 options:
First is like mentioned before, you can get a 3rd party player that will play videos in the format yours are encoded.

or

Use Handbrake to recode the videos to h.264 and then they will play in the stock player. I ended up doing this because I didnt like the 3rd party players (preferred the integrated gallery) and it also allowed me to boost the volume on some of the quiet parts.

Upvote 0
So I finally got streaming video to work over my home network to my Transformer. The magic combination was:
- videos in .mp4 format, DVDs ripped using Magic DVD Ripper (with AppleTV profile, $35)
- stored on NAS (Thecus N3200), streamed over wifi
- TwonkyMediaServer ($20) running on NAS
- accessed and played on Transformer using stock MyNet app

Certainly not free ($55 total) plus a ton of time trying to find something that worked and figuring out the best way to rip my DVDs, but it works really really well. I tried a bunch of different free DVD ripping and encoding apps and just couldn't figure out the correct set of steps so I'm sure there are other ways to get to this. I still think File Expert + RockPlayer will work again, but Honeycomb 3.1+ seems to have broken that particular combo for now. Finally able to rip my 50+ DVDs to my NAS, and the nice thing is that I can also stream them to my wife's iPad.

Reactions: Chaco
Upvote 0
i had issues copying perfectly fine movies into my mSD card and was not being played by moboplayer

almost even spent $10 on a converter software...

came to find out that if i put the mSD card on my laptop and copied the movie over, it wouldnt play...
BUT
if i placed the movie on a external HDD, the network, or a USB thumb drive and put it on the transformer dock and copy it over using the built in File Manager, it would work perfectly.

i think its the way Windows writes the file to the mSD that gives Android a hard time

Upvote 0
There are good free apps for video converting like: WinFF and MobileMediaConverter. They are both batch converter designed for mobile devices. But these don't come tablet presets, you'll have to choose mpeg4, then manually set your resolution and bitrate. I find going up to 720p res, its better to keep the codec as XVID which plays smoother.

But I prefer using Avidemux to encode in higher quality, but required more manual settings.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones