• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root whats on my SD card?!

freestylesno

Jul 3, 2010
I am trying to figure out what is fine to delete from my SD card. I have a small 2GB card with about a gig of unknown stuff on it. Having flashed my share of roms and i assuming that a lot of it is left over data from old apps and such, but i don't know what i should keep on it. I though about simply copying everything on to my computer and clearing the card, but apparently some files have to long of file names. So before i just delete what i cant copy is there any thing i should keep or does any one know of a better way to go about this, other then a nice new 16GB card. As a college student i lacks the funding to go buy one.

for what its worth,i got my kingston 16gb microsd card at newegg for something like $11.99+ shipping. less than $20 to get it to my door. you dont need to go to best buy and buy a $50+ card :eek:

failing that,i dont have a difinitive answer as to what you need and dont. i would copy the whole thing to your computer(put the card in an adapter and plug it right in if you want it to go a lil faster) and then reformat the card. the phone will put the files it needs right back on. when i changed my card to my 16gb,i did that,then just added my ringtones and alerts folders, my clockwork backups by moving the whole "clockworkmod" folder,and my RA backups by moving the whole "nandroid" folder. you can move your pics by moving them one at a time,if you only want certain ones,or just move the whole "dcim" folder which contains "thumbnails" and "camera". i also figured out where beuatiful widgets was storing its skins,and move that folder as well.

a 2gb card sucks,believe me! i could only keep 2 or 3 roms,and 4 or 5 backups on mine. if youre not a flashoholic like me you can maybe get away with it,but otherwise get a new card ;)

Upvote 0
You have to be careful, as some applications have cryptic names for their SD card files. As a general rule, delete anything named after an app you no longer use. Delete nothing that starts with a . (that makes it hidden in Linux) unless it qualifies under the previous rule.

Old Nandroids can be stored on the desktop. Same with old titanium backup versions (if you keep more than 1).

Other than that, I do not know. You would have to see exactly what is on your card.

-Nkk

Upvote 0
I know of two folders on the SD card that shouldn't be deleted, these are:

sdcard > Android > data

sdcard > data

Many apps use these two folders to hold data and, if anything is deleted from them, you could find an app or two misbehaving due to lack of saved data. Other than that, most of the folders I've seen are labeled with the app name. You should go through and remove any leftover folders for apps that you know have been uninstalled.

scotty85 makes a good point, you might look into getting a larger sd card because more and more space is going to be needed during your Android journey.

Upvote 0
I know of two folders on the SD card that shouldn't be deleted, these are:

sdcard > Android > data

sdcard > data

Many apps use these two folders to hold data and, if anything is deleted from them, you could find an app or two misbehaving due to lack of saved data..

good call on those two :)

for what its worth,i dint move them to my new sd card when i changed it,and tho i dint notice any misbehaving or wierdness from apps,its certainly possible to have had some.

i dont think anything on the SD card is of to much importance to the phone,after all,your phone will still function if you remove it :eek: deleting these 2 files is prolly not worth doing,for the chance of apps misbehaving mentioned above,plus your phone will prolly just put them right back on ;) :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones