Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Chaznsc, Jun 13, 2010.
Is there a FAQ or general explanation of what ROOT is on the forum?
You can check this external forums to see, what rooting means:
Why Root - Android Wiki
Five Great Reasons to Root Your Android Phone
Thank you.....there's no place for stupid questions so I did my best.
What's the general consenus on rooting?
If you want to root your phone, read carefully the forum All Things Root - Android Forums and do everything in right order, otherwise you can, in worst case, make a nice paperweight (brick) from your phone, but most actions can be undone or fixed. Every Android phone was rooted already, everything is well described and its better to read the guide twice than cry once.
Rooted phone pros:
- many ROMS are faster than original one (but some ROMs can be slower, you have to check description of flashed ROM for your phone)
- tethering (sharing internet over USB, bluetooth or WiFi) is possible (I think, it will be implemented in official Android 2.2, so if you have phone which gets 2.2, you can wait)
- on most ROM, multitouch can be used
- you can install many custom ROMs, which are mostly better and newer than original one (useful for phones with bad manufacturer support to get new version of Android or fix errors, new useful apps are preinstalled)
- applications can be installed on SD card (Android uses internal memory to install apps, which is never big enough, if you install some programs, like navigation or office suite, which have nearly 10 MB each - "some" apps can be also installed to SD in official 2.2)
- bluetooth is supported on custom ROMs (Android up to 2.0 supports just bluetooth handsfree and nothing more, so without root you practically can't use bluetooth)
- you can backup your phone data and application
- adjusting of system possible (themes, boot image, standard commandline tools and many more)
- you can relocate cache (for Market, browser and applications) to SD card, cache can also use 10ths of MBs
- OTA (OverTheAir) official updates will not be installed , so you have to update your phone by flashing new ROM
- some shops or resellers mean, that rooting voids warranty, but phone can be normally restored to original state before reclamation, so it's not a big case
I wish you good luck with rooting