• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best app to back up phone to PC?

I'd like to back up my Android (and iPhones) to computer, including:

- Whatsapp backup, and viewer for whatsapp messages on computer.
- Better if backups can be restored to a different device: iOS to Android and vice-versa.

I checked syncios-manager but this one seems to need a separate Whatsapp tool (paid separately) to view whatsapp messages.

I wonder if there's a full-featured universal app for Android and iOS.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

I'd like to back up my Android (and iPhones) to computer, including:

- Whatsapp backup, and viewer for whatsapp messages on computer.
- Better if backups can be restored to a different device: iOS to Android and vice-versa.

I checked syncios-manager but this one seems to need a separate Whatsapp tool (paid separately) to view whatsapp messages.

I wonder if there's a full-featured universal app for Android and iOS.

Any recommendations much appreciated.

No such thing AFAIK. To backup an iPhone to a PC you must use iTunes, and that doesn't support anything that isn't Apple of course. For Android there are various options available, like if you have a Samsung phone you can use Smart Switch, which is what I use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OnePlus 7T. But I'm looking for something for all phones, as I'm the tech guy for my family. We've got iPhones too.

Thank you

Not possible, I think. As I said, iPhones require iTunes(or the Finder if you're using a Mac), and that doesn't support Android devices. I recall reading there was some third-party backup solution for iPhone, but it required to jallbreak the iOS device.

There are various ways to keep an iTunes music and media library in sync with non-Apple devices, but for apps, no way. Apple iOS is very much a walled garden, nothing much can come in or out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not possible, I think. As I said, iPhones require iTunes(or the Finder if you're using a Mac), and that doesn't support Android devices. I recall reading there was some third-party backup solution for iPhone, but it required to jallbreak the iOS device.

There are various ways to keep an iTunes music and media library in sync with non-Apple devices, but for apps, no way. Apple iOS is very much a walled garden, nothing much can come in or out.
Thanks for your answer. I heard iMazing can do it for iPhones, but I'm loooking for something multiplatform.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones