• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Whats the best battery life you've had?

Dchozn1

I'm running Fresh 3.3.0.1 with the stock kernal.

Upvote 0
I spent some time optimizing the battery life before I rooted (in June). Back then, it was pretty much just googling battery saving tips for the evo and trying them all. I was able to get my battery drain down to about 2% an hour with the screen off (overnight loss of about 15-20%). Connecting to my home wifi instead of using 3G was a big help.

Interesting.

Two nights ago I charged the phone to full, and then unplugged it and let it sit there idle while I slept. The total battery use was 7% as the phone dropped to 93% battery. My usage was 1/3 cell standby, 1/3 phone idle, and 1/3 WiFI.

So last night, I decided to disable the 3G and WiFi radios, and only leave the cell radio on. The results were predictable. Total battery use was 5% as the phone dropped to 95%. My usage was 1/2 cell standby, and 1/2 phone idle.

In both of these scenarios, I got 1% or less per hour of battery use on a stock EVO that hasn

Reactions: slugbug
Upvote 0
Your 2% per hour figure seems high to me.

A few variables may account for the difference:

1)cell tower reception. I have an airave, but it doesn't kick in until there's a call made/received. 3G at my house is also weak. That means the phone will use more battery in these modes.

2) my stock probably != your stock. I was on Android 2.1 build 1.32 when I got my phone.

It's great to see that the stock phone can get 1% per hour drop on idle. I have no gripes with the battery drain while I use my phone. I think the maddening part for a lot of people is seeing the battery drain so quickly when the phone is idle with the screen off.

There have been days I've been so hosed at work that I rarely touch my phone the whole day. And in those cases, my battery drain for the day is like 20%. Which means I could theoretically go 5 days before needing to charge.

I can also drain my battery in an hour if I use the nav :) Either way, I consider my battery life to be very good.

Upvote 0
I can also drain my battery in an hour if I use the nav :) Either way, I consider my battery life to be very good.

Turn by turn nav is a battery killer!
icon_cuss.gif
I love it but I make sure to put the phone on the car charger before I fire it up.

Just for giggles I deliberately used my phone very little to see what kind of battery life I could get. The only lengthy thing I did with my phone was run Sleepy Time for 3 hours as I was falling asleep. Otherwise, just phone calls, a couple texts and minimal web browsing. Here is my shot.

987e8efd.png

I have yet to see a screenie of someone getting 20+ hours out of their battery AND Android System was 1 or 2 in the usage list. 20 hours with 30% battery life is great, but I might as well have had a Razr for what I did with the phone.

External charger, plus charging cables everywhere is essential for me. I want to be able to use every feature of my phone.

Upvote 0
I just rooted the other day and tried out two roms fresh and baked snacks 1.8 and baked snacks seemed to me to be the smoothest with best battery life and data speeds. I didnt do anything to help battery life just flashed and went on with my day lol.

i had for the start of the day light use and going into the day medium and there at the end i hit it hard

about 35 or 45 mins in phone calls
youtube for about 15 mins
my daughter played a game for like 30 mins
i had a download downloading for 2 hours (crazy this is what kept me on baked)
15 facebook or twitter updates
15 shootme photos
internet for about a hour
pandora for 30 mins
cant think of the rest but you see what i am going at.

Now i was wondering why like pandora or some of the others dont show up in the battery use??????

so again i am using baked snacks 1.8 with kernel #6 overclocked to 1.267 i think is what they have it at and i used UR3 to root!!!!

Attachments

• battery.jpg
    battery.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 56
  • quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 27
Upvote 0
I have two different screen shots, but can't post them (typical). I am using Myn's Warm 2.2 Rls2, my gps is always on, nothing autosyncs except Gmail, I use a live weather bug, Juicedefender auto-configured. I never drain more than about 5% max overnight. I charge during the day while I play Pandora, unplug when I see green.

Kings11 kernel
29 hours with 16% remaining)
intentionally conserving battery (wasn't going to be near a charger) so light use, 4g on for about an hour, texted and browsed whenever I wanted to but didn't go crazy

BakedSnack6 kernel (using currently)
8 hours with 60% remaining
moderate use, android system on top with 33%

Ziggy's 1023 kernel
14.5 hours with 4% remaining
heavy use, Android Sys top app at 28%, display on over 4 hours streaming Pandora

I am happy with all of the kernels I have tried (except ziggy 1026 kernel sent me into bootloops, so I never tired it, I was just happy to get out of the bootloop). I will try to stock kernel that comes with Myn's new rls3 when it comes out, people seem to get very consistent results from it.

I have no doubt and am very confident that if I need to, my phone will last more than a day. I carry a spare battery but have never needed to use it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones