1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What's the best budget Android phone right now?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by fauxtronic, Apr 24, 2012.

1. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

I'm about to dump my sim-free Wildfire S and it's kind of difficult to figure out what droids are available in the

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. karandpr

karandpr Android Expert

Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray or Neo .Similar specs .Better Camera . It is Gingerbread however ,would be upgraded to ICS soon .

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Galaxy W? I have no idea how much that costs there in the UK.

fauxtronic likes this.
  4. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

Thanks! I'd seen the XPeria Ray, but was put off by lower internal storage (1GB vs 4GB in the HTC One V) and smaller screen. I'm always wary of Sony stuff due to proprietary features too. Still, good to know about. I haven't completely written it off yet. The Neo is

5. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast

Warning on the Xperia Ray, it's got a fairly awkward form factor for a smartphone. It's got a 16:9 aspect ratio which works great for watching movies, etc, but for web browsing in landscape mode, not so much. I'm quite okay with it but it might bother some folks.

fauxtronic likes this.
  6. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

It's about

7. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

Well... the HTC One V and Samsung Galaxy W are the same price here now, and I'm ready to order but completely torn over these handsets.

The Galaxy W has a faster processor and less storage space, *but* I believe it has more internal storage available for apps because the OS (Gingerbread) takes up much less space than ICS. Multiple reviews of the HTC One V are also suggesting it's unacceptably laggy while browsing, while the Galaxy W doesn't have this problem. No doubt the Galaxy W's faster processor helps, but ICS requiring more CPU and RAM than Gingerbread is probably a factor too.

So, you would think the Galaxy W would be the phone for me...

...but I've only ever had HTC / Sense UI phones before and I'm incredibly reluctant to switch to a Samsung in case I hate Touchwiz. Bleh.

8. Tim2shin

Tim2shin Lurker

How much that Galaxy W gonna cost?

9. Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray's camera do me an atrraction!

10. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

At Amazon, the prices fluctuate all the time and are criss crossing daily. When I began this thread, the HTC One V was the cheaper phone. As of today, it's slightly more expensive:

HTC One V:

11. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

Anyway, I think I've settled on the Galaxy W now.

Yesterday I discovered the HTC One V has an irremovable battery and no digital compass. The latter would break key functionality of Google Sky Map which I've been using on various Android devices since 2009.

What I'm confused about now is the available internal storage for apps on the Galaxy W. Is it really 1.7GB? My big problem with the HTC Wildfire S was internal storage getting clogged with apps that could not be transferred to the sd card. There was only about 100MB available from the start though. As long as there *is* 1.7GB of space on the Galaxy W and *ALL* apps can be transferred to that storage space, that won't be a problem.

ETA: Since posting this, I've ordered it. So I guess I should acquaint myself with the Galaxy W forum. Thanks for all the suggestions folks! :D

12. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

I believe its actually 1.7GB...My Galaxy SL has 1.8GB, and it was what Galaxy W replaced at that price point in the Galaxy line-up. I doubt they'll do a downgrade.

13. fauxtronic

fauxtronic Newbie

Thanks! I have the Galaxy W now. Just waiting for it to charge. Thanks again for the recommendation. I'm really glad I didn't go with the HTC One V.