• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

whats the best Calling Plan?

Let's not hate, this is a place where we should all benefit from a collective knowledge. Would a scan of the phone bill be proof? It would obviously be wise to censor information such as name, address, billing info, etc.

Oh no, It's possible he was able to get a 49.99$ data only plan. It's just not possible that his Google Voice app can make VOIP calls when the rest of them cannot. You can't even get a GV account without giving it a real telephone number that your calls are forwarded too. Like I said, if he really was using GV on Android he would know this stuff. When you make a phone call using GV, it calls the # you give it, then calls you at whatever phone number you specified in your GV account. There just aren't any VOIP services yet, and anyone with a smart phone and GV would know this.

Upvote 0
Oh no, It's possible he was able to get a 49.99$ data only plan. It's just not possible that his Google Voice app can make VOIP calls when the rest of them cannot. You can't even get a GV account without giving it a real telephone number that your calls are forwarded too. Like I said, if he really was using GV on Android he would know this stuff. When you make a phone call using GV, it calls the # you give it, then calls you at whatever phone number you specified in your GV account. There just aren't any VOIP services yet, and anyone with a smart phone and GV would know this.

When I open the GV app on my Droid, tap the menu button and go into the settings. I see an option at the top "Making Calls." If I tap this, I see an option "Use Google Voice for all calls." This option wont allow me to place a call using GV? I'm at work or I'd try it right now...

Upvote 0
When I open the GV app on my Droid, tap the menu button and go into the settings. I see an option at the top "Making Calls." If I tap this, I see an option "Use Google Voice for all calls." This option wont allow me to place a call using GV? I'm at work or I'd try it right now...

VOIP means making phone calls using the your internet connection, for instance Skype. Making a call using Google Voice uses your cellular connection. When you get a chance make a call using Google Voice, it will tell you its calling, then your phone will make a call to a random number (that looks like this +443403430). The phone call will appear to come from your Google Voice number. Google Voice is for having one phone number for all of your calls, not VOIP phone calls. If someone calls your Google Voice number, the phone call is forwarded to your cell number, house number, work number whatever number you want. Since Google says it can't do VOIP calls, I'm going to stick with them (and my own experience) over some random guy on a forum who I suspect hasn't used the GV app for Android yet.

Upvote 0
Google Voice Build Number 0.2.7 on the Android Motorola Droid.
However, check speller, you need to have GV already and be able to login via the internet.

https://www.google.com/accounts/Ser...e=https://www.google.com/voice/account/signin

There is no special beta just request via this link and through the magic of an email response you get to use it.

moz-screenshot.png
moz-screenshot-1.png

Its not that "I" don't believe, its that I don't understand. Your links are just taking us to login pages where we are prompted for credentials...no pertinent info.

Google Voice, again, from what I understand, only provides call routing features, and not underlying calling service (e.g. pbx trunk, phone circuit, etc.). I can log onto my Cisco Unity server (voice mail) and replicate most every feature GVoice offers. GVoice, and all its services, is very much like an ACD tree (Automated Call Distribution). But again, I don't see anywhere in Google documentation where calls can be made, and received, without a 'call back number'.

Even with Google's "super low rates" and the prepaid plan, in order to get those cheap rates, you call your GV number, and enter a call back number so GV can call you, and then connect you to the "called party".

Its possible to disable a "forwarding number", so people can call your GV number directly, but the only other thing it can do is go to voice mail.

Making calls (Cont.):

From the Google Voice mobile site
When you access the Google Voice site from your mobile phone, use the 'Quick Call' field at the bottom of the page to enter any phone number. Initially, you’ll be prompted to select the phone you're on, so Google Voice can call you and connect you. For subsequent calls, the mobile site will remember where to call you.
You can also click the call link in any message to call back the caller through Google Voice.

By calling your own Google number

When you call your own Google number and sign into the Google voicemail system, you’ll have the option to place a call. Just press 2 and enter the number.
For calls within the U.S, enter area code and number. For example: 212-555-2222. For international calls, enter 011, the country code, and the number (or "1 and the country code," depending on where you're calling). For example: 011442012345612345 or 12464260200.

Upvote 0
This is EXACTLY my question as well. I currently have a Family Select Share plan and we all have basic cell phones at the moment. My son wants a Droid for Christmas because a) it's a very cool device and b) mainly because it has wi-fi like his itouch did, except this is also an affordable phone as well! I'm not willing to add the $30 - $45 a month data feature, which Verizon seems to require to activate the phone. So I've yet to make the purchase. Does anyone know a way around this?

Upvote 0
This is EXACTLY my question as well. I currently have a Family Select Share plan and we all have basic cell phones at the moment. My son wants a Droid for Christmas because a) it's a very cool device and b) mainly because it has wi-fi like his itouch did, except this is also an affordable phone as well! I'm not willing to add the $30 - $45 a month data feature, which Verizon seems to require to activate the phone. So I've yet to make the purchase. Does anyone know a way around this?

You will need to add the data part to you family plan if you want to add a Droid. Because it is a smart phone, Verizon requires that and I've found no way around it.

Upvote 0
I talked to Verizon a couple of times in the last 2 days and the CSR's refuse to back down on their standard procedure of requiring a data feature if you go Smart Phone. I asked "What's the point of the Droid having Wi-Fi then? When would you ever use it?" She admitted that you wouldn't....unless you were out of the county and wanted to avoid the expensive data connect charges outside the US. She also said that Wi-Fi on smartphones is new and most still don't have it and that their calling plans have not kept up with this fact that the newer ones do have it. For now, you must buy a data package -- period.

Upvote 0
I talked to Verizon a couple of times in the last 2 days and the CSR's refuse to back down on their standard procedure of requiring a data feature if you go Smart Phone. I asked "What's the point of the Droid having Wi-Fi then? When would you ever use it?" She admitted that you wouldn't....unless you were out of the county and wanted to avoid the expensive data connect charges outside the US. She also said that Wi-Fi on smartphones is new and most still don't have it and that their calling plans have not kept up with this fact that the newer ones do have it. For now, you must buy a data package -- period.

Actually once Verizon turns on their WiFi tethering service, my understanding is that you will be able to use your Droid as an access point. You may think that with the Droid you may not need a computer to get on the internet, but there are some things that are better used with a screen larger than 3.7 inches.

The onscreen keyboard is nice (I am not a fan of the physical keyboard yet) but if I am editing a long document, I want a full keyboard and a real screen. A high end data plan is going to make me want to start lugging my laptop around again. :)

Upvote 0

I believe the opposite is true - the availability of WiFi caught up with their required data plans. Last year (I think) Verizon started requiring data plans on all smartphones launched after a certain date. Prior to that, Verizon intentionally disabled WiFi on their smartphones, so that users wanting a data connection had no choice but to have a data plan. Only now that data plans are required are they allowing their smartphones to have WiFi. Why? Because any off-network use reduces the burden on their network, and they still get your money for the data plan.

Upvote 0

Believe it or not :))), there are some places that cell signals cannot reach that have wi-fi available. Interiors of multi-leveled buildings, for example. The wi-fi on my Saga has come in handy right about then.

Upvote 0
question: is anyone on the family connect plan with the Droid?

i have 3 lines on a family plan and when i got the droid on release day, i wanted to upgrade my plan to the connect plan. i did this at best buy and everything went through ok. but when the bill came, something didn't seem right. i still had the $29.99 data plan tacked on from my previous phone (which was an omnia) and i also had another $29.99 for the 2nd line. this didn't seem right to me because i wanted the connect plan which had unlimited data and unlimited text for all 3 family lines. instead they put me on the select plan with the $29.99 unlimited data option on the 2 droid phones.

the first 2 times i called into verizon to try and correct this problem, they told me the droid required a data plan (which i knew) and that there would be no way to remove it because the system wouldn't allow it. it had to be removed first so i can upgrade to connect because that data plan and the connect data plan would clash and they system wouldn't allow that either. but apparently i can't even take that $29.99 data off and neither of the 2 customer reps i talked to could tell me why. one of them even talked to their floor manager and they still couldn't give me an answer. they just told me it can't be done.

so i came up with an idea that i could just switch back to my old phones, remove that $29.99 data plan, and upgrade back to the droids along with the connect plan. so i called a 3rd time and finally i was told that the droid can't even be on the connect plan in the first place. the droid REQUIRES that $29.99 data plan and ONLY that data plan can be used. the rep tells me that the connect plan is only for phones that are not smartphones or PDAs, which makes no sense to me at all. wouldn't i want the unlimited data on a phone that i use a lot of data for??

Upvote 0
...so i called a 3rd time and finally i was told that the droid can't even be on the connect plan in the first place. the droid REQUIRES that $29.99 data plan and ONLY that data plan can be used. the rep tells me that the connect plan is only for phones that are not smartphones or PDAs, which makes no sense to me at all. wouldn't i want the unlimited data on a phone that i use a lot of data for??

This rep was right. The Connect plan includes unlimited data, but only for feature phones (anything that's not a PDA or smartphone). Smartphones require a separate data plan for each phone.

Upvote 0
Im about to rehash a question that has probally been asked 1000 times but here goes. What is the cheapest plan you can get with a droid and a second dumb phone on a family plan? Right now the cheapest i can it is around 125 per month. Anybody got anything lower?

Basic 700 minute Family Share plan @ $69.99 (for two lines) plus $29.99 data plan for Droid = $99.98/month. This includes NO TEXT MESSAGING for either phone, and NO DATA for the dumb phone.

Make it a Select plan for $30/month more, and get unlimited TEXT MESSAGING on both lines, or...

Add a 250 TEXT MESSAGE bundle to the lines individually for $5/month each.

Upvote 0
In order to make and recieve calls there are work arounds. Which I thought by now the "experts" would detail.

Lets recap the thread and use only the facts.

The elusive Data Only Plan.Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

Unlimited texting with GV yes that is agreed. Previous explained. Using the 3G network.

Unlimited outbound calling using GV yes that is agreed. Currently explained. In order to do this there must be a phone number of your choice attached to your GV account preferably your cell number or the number that is assigned to you when you have a data only plan.

Unlimited inbound calling. Requires a work around. Buy Skype number for inbound calls. Online number SkypeIn - Skype personal internet number
Either $18 for 3 months or $60 a year. You can choose the number.
With Fring running which is a free on the marketplace, and the Skype addon (availabe form the menu on Fring) http://www.fring.com/fring_is/fringadd-ons/
Doing this will ring your mobile phone through the application when your Skype number is called.

Another option is GV has Instant notification when the GV number is called either for voicemails and text. Without inbound calling GV still lets you know instantly when you have recieved a call via a GV text using Google Voice application.

Enough said...:D

Upvote 0
....Unlimited outbound calling using GV yes that is agreed. Currently explained. In order to do this there must be a phone number of your choice attached to your GV account preferably your cell number or the number that is assigned to you when you have a data only plan...

My question "originally", was how you get Google voice to support a call, "with no cell number on the phone". Thank you for answering my question with the info above. Its similar to my "dry-loop DSL" from Verizon...no telephone service, but still had data...Verizon still had to assign a telephone number to the account.

My question now is that given "cell calls" cost $0.40/min. on a "data only plan", and Google needs that cell # to "call back" for outgoing calls, how are the per minute charges avoided?

It doesn't look like $34.99 plan applies to the DROID...stuck with the $54.99/mo at best.

Upvote 0
In order to make and recieve calls there are work arounds. Which I thought by now the "experts" would detail.

Lets recap the thread and use only the facts.

The elusive Data Only Plan.Text Only Messaging Plans from Verizon Wireless

Unlimited texting with GV yes that is agreed. Previous explained. Using the 3G network.

Unlimited outbound calling using GV yes that is agreed. Currently explained. In order to do this there must be a phone number of your choice attached to your GV account preferably your cell number or the number that is assigned to you when you have a data only plan.

Unlimited inbound calling. Requires a work around. Buy Skype number for inbound calls. Online number SkypeIn - Skype personal internet number
Either $18 for 3 months or $60 a year. You can choose the number.
With Fring running which is a free on the marketplace, and the Skype addon (availabe form the menu on Fring) http://www.fring.com/fring_is/fringadd-ons/
Doing this will ring your mobile phone through the application when your Skype number is called.

Another option is GV has Instant notification when the GV number is called either for voicemails and text. Without inbound calling GV still lets you know instantly when you have recieved a call via a GV text using Google Voice application.

Enough said...:D

Google Voice is still not a VOIP service--plain and simple. If you choose a data-only plan, beware of all those minutes you may be using...

You can use GV to interface to VOIP solutions but ultimately it's not practical because it's complicated.

Using GV to initiate calls still calls your cellular's number, which are minutes.

For me, I use Google Voice all of the time, but don't really use the VOIP connectors because it's messy and all of the intermediate parts have to work.

My opinion is to use a low-minute plan without texting, but unlimited data. Use GV for texting or email for any multimedia messaging.

Upvote 0
Yes normally from the website GV calls a number for outbound calls, however with the GV application on android its all done through GV...

My question "originally", was how you get Google voice to support a call, "with no cell number on the phone". Thank you for answering my question with the info above. Its similar to my "dry-loop DSL" from Verizon...no telephone service, but still had data...Verizon still had to assign a telephone number to the account.

My question now is that given "cell calls" cost $0.40/min. on a "data only plan", and Google needs that cell # to "call back" for outgoing calls, how are the per minute charges avoided?

Upvote 0
Yes normally from the website GV calls a number for outbound calls, however with the GV application on android its all done through GV...

If that's the case, then one could remove the call back number from the accounts settings, open the GVoice app, and make an outbound call via PSTN.

Can anyone else confirm? I no longer have the Droid and GVoice web just keeps prompting me for a call back #.

Upvote 0

No, the app just does it without you noticing. You don't have to see all the call initiating it just happens in the background. You DO get charged for the minutes and if it is a data only plan then you get charged insane amounts of money for those minutes. Quit being so hard headed.

Upvote 0
Cricket best Android plan, $55 unlimited calling, text and Internet

hello everyone.. this is my first post.....

was wondering something...

i currently have the BASIC calling plan with 450 minutes ($59.99) then i added unlimited texting and data for another $29.99.. for a grand total of `$90

i just checked verizons site and found a plan with 900 minutes and unlimited text and data for the same price..... but it says i need to UPGRADE my phone...?? any idea what thats about?

what plan do you guys/gals have?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones