1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What's the best deal on a Galaxy Tab right now?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jeremyseattle, Dec 6, 2011.

1. jeremyseattle

jeremyseattle Lurker
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    A coworker asked me today whether she should get a Kindle Fire or a Nook Tablet for her son. Since he's 15, he's quickly going to grow out of one of those, so I recommended a lower-priced but quality tablet such a Galaxy Tab. I told her she could probably find one for around $200, but the lowest I can find (non-refurb) is $295 here:

Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Wi-Fi Android 2.2 Tablet 16GB Bluetooth [GTP1010CWAXAR] - $295.00 : High-End Workstation Graphics, nVidia Quadro FX | ATI FireGL | Matrox | PC, Server Components

Anybody know of a better deal going anywhere? Thanks!

Advertisement

2. hkklife

hkklife Member
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    I would avoid the wi-fi version of the Galaxy Tabl like the plague. For starters, it has a weaker CPU & GPU than the GSM & CDMA Tabs. Secondly it only has Bluetooth 2.1. I think it also may have a smaller capacity battery .I know that there are some compatibility issues with apps & games not apearing in the market for the wi-fi Tab that would otherwise work fine on the 3G Tabs. Also, the 3rd party ROM situation isn't as plentiful if that is a factor.

My advice? One of the 5" Samsung Galaxy Players would be a bit cheaper than the wi-fi Tab and give you official Gingerbread and be a bit cheaper. Otherwise, perhaps an HTC Flyer wi-fi for $299 or maybe even one of the 8" Archos G9s. They have awesome specs for the price and have Honeycomb and are receiving ICS. Also, the Acer Iconia A100 might be a good choice for around the same price as that Tab you linked to. Finally, to go all out, the 7" Galaxy Tab Plus is arguably the best 7" tablet on the market right now but I still feel it's about $50 overpriced.