• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best "home" app?

drwinston

Sep 22, 2009
Having read and seen some samples on here, I was wondering what people considered the best app for altering your desktop. From what I've seen there's ahome, open home and sweeter home.

Any advice on which has the best designs out there (I won't be able to design my own) and which is easiest to use and doesn't make your phone lag.

thanks in advance

Having read and seen some samples on here, I was wondering what people considered the best app for altering your desktop. From what I've seen there's ahome, open home and sweeter home.

Any advice on which has the best designs out there (I won't be able to design my own) and which is easiest to use and doesn't make your phone lag.

thanks in advance

One other is dxTop ... I used aHome for a while on both of my phones... Still have it on my stock ... but not on my rooted ... ...

I would say you are wishing for a miracle if any of these alternatives wont cause lag ... (to what degree is ???)

You might want to look at the themes themselves and decide what you like ....and let that govern which app you want to Try ...

Upvote 0
I think most of you are familiar with the Android home replacement application, aHome. As the mobile application and software provider based in Southern California who developed aHome, mAPPn is now looking for theme designers to cooperate and themes to buy.

We have had great success on the Android platform with very successful applications, aHome and the freshface which was developed for T-mobile's G1 and MyTouch mobile devices. Currently, we are working together with several media companies on our newest development, the mAPPn Channel, which provides a variety of products and services, such as premium media content.

So if you are interested and would like more information on potential opportunities in designing themes for our platform, please feel free to contact me at brian@mappn.com. In the meantime, please visit our website at www.mappn.com to learn more about who we are.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

Brian Zhou
mAPPn, Inc

Upvote 0
I just installed PandaHome, and I like it so far. The bells and whistles are nice, but mostly unnecessary to me. I don't mind the basic android them, not really looking to be bedazzled by the experience of opening my gmail. :p

I did this because I've had this odd problem with my home screen randomly going black. The notification bar is still visible. The icons, and widgets, while also black, are there, everything works. When I open an app, or even go into settings the program is visible like always, but for some reason the home screen goes black. I did a factory reset that seemed to fix the issue, but as I re-installed software, the black randomness showed up again. I thought it was toggle settings or locale, but both have been uninstalled and the black randomness continues.

Anyway, installing PandaHome, has, so far, alleviated the issue. I don't see much lag, but I've uninstalled a bunch of apps to try to speed up my phone. I've read that you have to keep at least 20-25mb free(on the G1) in order to keep it running without a lot of lag.

Upvote 0
I just installed PandaHome, and I like it so far. The bells and whistles are nice, but mostly unnecessary to me. I don't mind the basic android them, not really looking to be bedazzled by the experience of opening my gmail. :p

I did this because I've had this odd problem with my home screen randomly going black. The notification bar is still visible. The icons, and widgets, while also black, are there, everything works. When I open an app, or even go into settings the program is visible like always, but for some reason the home screen goes black. I did a factory reset that seemed to fix the issue, but as I re-installed software, the black randomness showed up again. I thought it was toggle settings or locale, but both have been uninstalled and the black randomness continues.

Anyway, installing PandaHome, has, so far, alleviated the issue. I don't see much lag, but I've uninstalled a bunch of apps to try to speed up my phone. I've read that you have to keep at least 20-25mb free(on the G1) in order to keep it running without a lot of lag.

yea PandaHome is also my fav

Upvote 0
this may be a dumb question, but, if you are browsing the internet on your phone and see a picture that you'd like to be your wallpaper, can you somehow save that pic and do that? i'm a white sox fan and would like a white sox wallpaper. can i just find a whitesox picture on the net and make it my wallpaper, or do i have to buy one of these apps and search for white sox related pics? thanks!

Upvote 0
this may be a dumb question, but, if you are browsing the internet on your phone and see a picture that you'd like to be your wallpaper, can you somehow save that pic and do that? i'm a white sox fan and would like a white sox wallpaper. can i just find a whitesox picture on the net and make it my wallpaper, or do i have to buy one of these apps and search for white sox related pics? thanks!

On the droid all I do is press and hold on the image and a dialog pops up and i just select to save the image.

Upvote 0
I use Open Home Full, dxTop, and Sweeter Home (for when I feel like doing some deep customization). If I feel like having an iphone style setup then I'll use Open Home (7 screens). If I'm having a lazy day then I'll use dxTop (1 swipe to get to any of the 4 screens).

All are great IMO.

I haven't tried aHome yet. What's the main difference between aHome and Open Home?

Upvote 0
Sturge[Droid];293406 said:
pandahome may be free but it lags terribly on me, dxtop is nice and simple. my favorite is sweeterhome 2. im using the beta version. it has some bugs but using springboards makes it perfect for customizing and orginization of apps and shortcuts...im a big fan of what is yet to come

I agree sweeterhome 2 is a great home replacement, BUT you have to almost be a developer to configure it. Just the average Joe like myself will really struggle with setting it up if we ever can do it. But i do agree that the possibilities of this home app far exceeds the capabilities of any other home alternatives out there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones