• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the best new phone for me?

Levitate

Dec 20, 2009
Okay I LOVE the Nexus One, and I'd be getting one as soon as possible if only it ran 850MHz on the WCDMA or UTMS I think it's also called. I believe this is what AT&T in the US uses? As the network I need it run on here in New Zealand (Telecom XT) only gives decent reception of that freq.

I was absolutely guttered to find out the phone wont work on this frequency and it doesn't look like there is going to be a version that will :(

So here's what I'm asking...

What is the best Android phone and most Nexus One like that will support this freq? :thinking: I want to know all names I should be keeping an eye on.

This is mainly aimed at phones coming out soon as I've looked at most on the market already... I'm interested by the HTC Passion? I think it's called... and also whats this rumor about a new Nexus One with a keyboard made more for international? Is this likely to support the freq?

Thanks for all advice! :D

New Zealand uses 2100 AND 850. I totally understand that its not ideal that it would only work on 2100, but just to let you know - you would get some 3G coverage :)

The HTC passion is the HTC branded (non goolge) version of the Nexus One, so it'll have exactly the same frequency problems.

Phones which work on the 850/900/1900 UMTS bands are usually special versions which come out much later for the US market. I don't know of any specifically that are going to be released, but I expect google will have to release one for the AT&T network users at some point.

Unforuntatly you're on a UMTS band thats not used in europe, and thats where most GSM phones are targeted for - initially at least.

Have a scan on pdadb.net, maybe there's some US versions of some nice phones I dont know about.

Upvote 0
Yeah we have Vodafone here which has great 2100MHz coverage but their plans don't suit my lifestile unfortunately.. and XT has very limited 2100 coverage spots... But when there is no 2100 coverage then my phone, rather than just losing 3G signal or something will completely lose any signal which is not really worth getting such a great phone if it can only work in a few special spots..

Isn't there some Android Phones coming out for AT&T soon? I think I remember reading about that... What are they?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones