• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root what's the best rom?

The best ROM is one that adds what you want added and doesn't take away what you don't want taken away. It's different for each person. (If you have to choose between speed and battery life, you'd make one choice, others would make the other choice.)

I still can't understand why people root the stock ROM, then replace it with another ROM that's already rooted. Rooting the stock ROM is a waste of time unless that's the ROM you're going to be using, and a possibility of bricking the phone (if the rooting app you use is written by someone who doesn't know what he's doing, or if you use it wrong).

Upvote 0
A better question to ask is what ROM should you try, normally a "Best" thread ends up getting locked after it degenerates into a pissing contest.

I run stock 4.3 rooted on my N7, thanks to MultiRom I can keep my primary stock rooted install and mess around with other roms to my hearts content -

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tassadar.multirommgr

MultiRom Manager will install MultiRom, the required TWRP MultiRom modified recovery, and optionally a stock modified kernel you need in order to boot into other roms.

Some of the most popular ROMS available already have the MultiRom Kexec kernel patch right out of the box, for others you may need a different kernel but there are many available.

That said make sure you have a viable nandroid before you start using multirom, it is very stable but never hurts to make sure.

Try OmniRom, I have been dual booting my N7 for a while with it and it really is starting to round out to a very comprehensive feature rich ROM for the N7 and more.

OmniROM

Reactions: mrryanthai
Upvote 0
My two top tips are install Franco Kernel no matter what rom you're on. And go into Developer Options, "select run time" and change it to ART.
Your grouper will be the opposite of sluggish!
I'll upload Franco Kernel for you. Just dirty flash it in recovery and reboot and feel the performance.
When you switch to ART, the 1st reboot takes forever, don't worry, it's worth it.

As for best rom, imo it's Validus 5.2, I'll drop a link.
Omni is cool but doesn't have a theme engine, Validus has the cool things like Expanded Desktop, Omni Switch amd slim pie so there's no need to waste screen with buttons✌

Franco r79 https://app.box.com/s/v02obrjh1w4h7jbqb140 if it won't flash let me know n I'll give u an earlier one but honest, do a benchmark before and after and you'll see the difference.. Then activate ART and see your tab supercharged :eek:

Here's the rom, Validus 5.2 n its beautiful. https://app.box.com/s/eqswa1brwxaaknpz73ct
Obviously make a backup first, do a full wipe, flash Validus then gapps, then Franco then restore your apps, activate developer options, "select run time" ignore the warning and the tab will (in about 15mins) boot into a 2014 device :)

Upvote 0
The best ROM is one that adds what you want added and doesn't take away what you don't want taken away. It's different for each person. (If you have to choose between speed and battery life, you'd make one choice, others would make the other choice.)

I still can't understand why people root the stock ROM, then replace it with another ROM that's already rooted. Rooting the stock ROM is a waste of time unless that's the ROM you're going to be using, and a possibility of bricking the phone (if the rooting app you use is written by someone who doesn't know what he's doing, or if you use it wrong).

Two words bro "Xposed Framework" ;)

Reactions: DragonSlayer95
Upvote 0
How do you flash a ROM if the stock ROM is not rooted? I root ALL my android devices the minute I touch them.

bun

The Nexus line of devices are known as "developer" devices, the boot loader can be unlocked via a simple ADB command allowing you to instantly start flashing a different recovery and ROM without actually rooting the stock ROM.

Many other devices involve using an exploit to gain access to the same areas, so in essence you are rooting the device first.

Reactions: mrryanthai
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones