• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats the best web browser on the desire?? + other app q's

mcchriswood

Mar 3, 2010
Im stuck between Stock, Dolphin and Xscope.
Whats the quickest and most efficient one??
When downloaded is it possible too still use the stock one aswell.
Also whilst i think about it.
I have read thread after thread about those who do against those who do not use task killers.
Now i know alot of people say android handles it well enough and they are not needed HOWEVER is killing the tasks doing any damage??
All those who use them seem too swear by them speeding the phone up.
I cant decide whether too use one or not.
How can an app be so contradicting between people with the same device.
Also i have installed both the ebay app and the pkt auctions ebay.
Which do you prefer and why??

Also whilst i think about it.
I have read thread after thread about those who do against those who do not use task killers.
Now i know alot of people say android handles it well enough and they are not needed HOWEVER is killing the tasks doing any damage??
Also i have installed both the ebay app and the pkt auctions ebay.
Which do you prefer and why??

I have always used the dolphin browser & find it very good, you can use the stock one as well if you like.
Never really use a task killer, but you can't cause any damage that i have heard about.
Can't help you on the other question as i don't go on ebay with the phone.

Upvote 0
I use Skyfire to browse. Ive looked through loads of threads on this and it really does come down to personal opinion. Opera is the fastest, but i didnt like it and it doesnt have flash. I just like the way Skyfire feels. Download opera, dolphin, skyfire and xscope then give yourself a standard test. I went to BBC, then Gmail, then youtube then onto here! I did that with each browser and found i liked Skyfire best, especially the easy button to switch between android and normal web pages. Then I uninstalled all the others. Except for stock obviously.

As for task killer i used to have it, upgraded to 2.2 and didnt reinstall it and to be honest ive not noticed any real difference.

When it comes to ebay, do you really need an app? You can access the website on the phone fine.

Upvote 0
for what reason mate

wellllllll............ it's fast, I like the way it adjusts the webpage to fit the screen when I pinch-zoom, it has swipe patterns for browser control (back, forward, etc), I like the hidden menues to the sides of the screen (accessed with a quick swipe) that give quick access to Bookmarks, Most Visited, etc without leaving the page, and easy tabbed browsing just like PC/Mac. There are also colour skins available to match your theme if you want.

I tried the stock WebKit browser, and also Opera Mini, but Dolphin HD is the one I kept going back to and it 'feels' better to me.

Regarding the eBay app, I use it and I like it. I tend to sell more than I buy, and the app makes it really easy to keep track of my running auctions, watched items, and messages. It's not the best for posting items for sale, or last-minute bidding, which I tend to do on my PC.

Upvote 0
I use stock. Tried Dolphin HD and it was a good alternative and the tabs are great. But I just kind of preferred the stock layout for some reason.

Task Killers automatically killing apps will make your battery life worse as it will take more power to start them back up again.
However I have used mine manually on several occasions for killing apps that have crashed and apps that have left a service running (such as GPS)

Upvote 0

the quickest is stock (although others would argue for xscope). Dolphin has lots of add ons, its like a mobile firefox. I use stock tho.

yep

the isn't that android can handle it well enough, the key is android was designed from the ground up not to require the use of a task killer of any sort.

Depends what you mean by damage. If damage is a shorter battery life and less stable phone, then yes, it will cause damage. Nothing permanent tho :p

They don't know what they are talking about basically. Compare their phone to mine (i don't use a task killer), i can pretty much guarantee mine is faster and less jerky.

decide no.

What do you mean?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones