• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the big deal about android 2.1 / 2.2?

Plus there are alot of new games that 1.6 cant play, dragon hinter, hawk, gangsta 2......

Even with 2.1 we still can't play those games. The GPU is severely lacking with the MT3G.

Most of these games are iPhone ports originally designed to work with a PowerVR graphics processor and the Moto Droid (which also uses PowerVR) is really the only device compatible. Also some optimized snapdragon processors could work as well. (Nexus, Incredible, Xperia 10 etc)

Upvote 0
Plus there are alot of new games that 1.6 cant play, dragon hinter, hawk, gangsta 2......

Even with 2.1 we still can't play those games. The GPU is severely lacking with the MT3G.

Most of these games are iPhone ports originally designed to work with a PowerVR graphics processor and the Moto Droid (which also uses PowerVR) is really the only device compatible. Also some optimized snapdragon processors could work as well. (Nexus, Incredible, Xperia 10 etc)

your speaking chinese algebra....but if we dont get 2.1 before my wife gets the slide.......root for me

Upvote 0
I was trying to find an article that i thought was on the phandroid news site about the whole fragmentation thing. Since I can't find it I'll try to sum up the ideas of the article. Yes there are at this very moment 5 versions of the android system out int he phone market (obviously including Froyo). The reason there are so many is because Google is updating and innovating android at its own pace. Since systems like windows mobile and the like are bought by the manufacturers like Motorola, HTC, etc, Microsoft has to hold back on its updates so that smaller companies with limited resources can update the equipment that runs the platform. With android being free for these companies to use, Google has no obligation to hold back and can update at will. What happens, which is going to be an answer to your question, is that you have phones that though they are running android as a whole, they are simply not capable of running the newer versions of the os. I'll give this example, take an older Palm Centro and a Palm Pre. Both are running the Palm os, but the Centro wouldn't be capable of running the newest version of WebOS. This is the same idea of what is going on with android, just at a much faster rate because Google isn't have to slow down and wait for the stragglers to catch up, they can just fall back and use 1.5 or 1.6 and still have a decent phone. Now you can always go the route of rooting your phone, which if that is what you decide to do then by all means, I have and its awesome. You just have to be mindful of the limitations of your hardware. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Well the to me the big deal is that the customers that supported the android movement are being ditched. Its kinda dissappointing to know that they just left us out. The "older" members of the ever so grand android movement have been the foundation of what android has become and as soon as they gain a little progress are we are left with is a pitiful consolation ( firmware 2.1) Its a stab in the back. Of course I love the dirrection that android is headed and this is what led me to my HTC Hero. I know its still a business and the primary goal is to make money ,but at what cost. It seems to me that they went about it all the wrong way. Supposedly the 'Old" phone are incapable of using this new technology to it fullest , so why not build on what you have.I I dont really know what to do yet . Of course another phone is out of the question because i only purchased the phone in January so with sprints 2year contract.. i have to wait. Of course rooting is an option but for those of us who do not know everything about technology it isnt that easy. Its kinda of ironic that simplicity was something that HTC promised with its * New Android * phone ,but simplicity is definately not in this whole equation.

Upvote 0
Though I understand your point, its a little narrow minded. Look at the advances Google has made just in the past few years in technology and what they are pushing in terms of equipment growth. There is no malicious intent here. I am a MT3G owner and though I am feeling the pangs of being slightly left behind, I am also excited to see what is coming next. There are so many possibilities with what android can do here, not just as an os, but as a catalyst for change. With the rising popularity of rooting, the cell carriers are having less control over what we can do with our phones. I can tether with my phone which no carrier really wants. I don't abuse it because I am usually in range of a wifi signal and I usually also have my laptop, but its nice to be able to if i need too. Carriers are notorious for gimping the abilities of phones across the board. Hell look at the Sony w810. A phone that is still to this day one of my all time favorites. This phone was discontinued over 4 years ago and is still selling for well over 100$ unlocked, hell I've seen them go upwards of almost 300! Thats the power that phone had and still has. I am hoping android is going to help turn things around in the consumers favor, or at least keep allowing us to bend the rules when necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones