1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What's the consensus on overclocking?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wally World, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

Worth it? Does it result in any real world performance gains?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

Not worth it imho.

3. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert

Thanks. I was looking at some OG droid info and some are able to OC 1.2ghz on a 600mhz chip-that's impressive. The X seems to max out at 1.2ghz, a 20% gain. Not sure if that helps things much.

4. Trooper

Trooper Android Expert

Don't get me wrong, Ive tried it. Things may seem a bit snappier but it just seems like its an overall waste of time.

The OG Droid is a different animal and yeah, you can get some impressive performance gains out of it.

5. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Android Expert

Overclocking will give you a little performance gain but if anything I'd suggest using one of the overclocking apps (I prefer Quick Clock Advance) so that you can use the stock clock speeds with lower voltages to help with battery life.

scary alien likes this.
  6. rehpyc

rehpyc Android Enthusiast

Not worth overclocking (the X can do more than 1.2 btw). Undervolting is worthwhile tho.

7. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

I oc/uv my cm7 and actually had worse quadrant whites.

8. Kevmueller

Kevmueller Android Expert

If you are trying to play so really graphic intense games overclocking could help, however for every day use and basic game and streaming video play the stock speeds are just fine. I have been able to run mine at 1.4 with no problems, however no real use for it.

I agree that the bigger advantage is to undervolting to get better battery life. That is currently all that I am doing with no issues.

9. cbaty08

cbaty08 Member

Well it looks like I am the odd one out....

I have mine overclocked to 1.2; it is set scaled so really.. unless it can utilize it, it won't be 'wasting' battery.... I still have great battery life.

10. bigbabys

bigbabys Android Enthusiast

Are there any downsides to undervolting? Does it hurt performance at all? Why wouldn't it be undervolted out of the box if that is the case?

11. Xelios

Xelios Android Enthusiast

As far as I know, every chip isn't built the same. Some handle different clock speeds better, some handle different voltages better. I guess Texas Instruments just rated this chip at 1GHz so it would work across the board.

And I run mine at ULV 1.1GHz using Android Overclock. My phone is snappy and my battery life is great. Can't complain.

12. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Android Expert

I run mine at 1.1GHZ undervolted... very low undervolted... like 17 vsels on 300 mhz... but I use QuickClock Advanced and let it do its thing... I see small gains on the top side (still at 9 vsels under stock at 1.1 GHZ @56 vsels when stock was running 1.0 GHZ @ 65 vsels) but see a noticeable battery savings with it undervolted... of course, you go to low and you strain your processor and it either just shuts down or will perform badly and suck the juice out of the battery, thats why I recommend Quick Clock Advanced.

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews