1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

what's the difference between free wifi tethering and 3g/4g tethering?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by LimpyLegs, Dec 6, 2011.

1. LimpyLegs

LimpyLegs Lurker
    None

Nov 26, 2011
    I know that there's a MAJOR difference(or suppose to be) in speed when it comes to the two connections....but I use pdanet for tethering my phone to my laptop...on average with my signal area I get a connection speed that's only really equivalent to a 56k.I've been reading quite a bit on "wifi hotspot tethering" and rooting your phone for free access but I'm wondering if there's any huge notable difference between the two if i were to decide to drop pdanet and tether my wifi? or am I just interpreting this the wrong way and not realizing that they both work off the same signal?

Advertisement

2. John Redcorn

John Redcorn Android Enthusiast
    None

May 9, 2011
    I don't think there's going to be a difference unless pdanet just has some problems. I doubt it, it's pretty popular. (I've never used it or any kind of usb tethering so I really am not sure)

Try and install the android speedtest.net app and see if you see similar speeds from that compared to the tethered laptop. They should both show about the same thing.

For me on ATT the speed I get is very dependent on the time of day and what part of town I'm in.

3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead
    None

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Unfortunately, with few carrier exceptions, the "free" Wifi tethering that people use when rooted is something that violates your terms of service with your carrier. Due to that fact it is something that we can not allow being discussed on the forum.

Sorry, but I am going to need to close this thread. Feel free to PM if you have questions about this.

El Presidente and Yeahha like this.