1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

What's the difference between "internal storage" and "phone storage"?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by JohnJSal, Apr 30, 2013.

1. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    In my Apps settings, there are two different sections, one called "Internal Storage" with a total of 6.07GB of space, and one called "Phone Storage" with 9.93GB of space.

What's the difference between these two? I assume the Phone Storage is the same as the advertised 16GB of storage for my particular phone (EVO 4G LTE)?

Why does there need to be two separate areas, rather than one large storage space? Which of these two is the default for app downloads?

Thanks.

P.S. I'm considering getting the S4. Will it have this same division of space, or does it only have the 16GB (which is more like 9GB, like my current phone) for everything?

Advertisement

h s umesh likes this.
  2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

10GB for media (pics, music etc).

6GB for user installed apps, all the programs you install and for Sprint software and updates.

That 6GB used to be split into 2GB for your apps etc and 4GB for Sprint stuff.

Harry2 and JohnJSal like this.
  3. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Android Expert

Jun 17, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Ah, that explains some of my confusion! I seem to recall my phone advertising 2GB for apps, so I didn't understand where this 6GB partition came from. I guess an update combined them.

Edit: Now that it's combined, is there any way for me to see how much space just the user-installed apps are taking up?

4. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    HTC says ... :)

Apps and data storage:
    Apps are installed to this storage, labeled as Internal storage in your phone settings. It also stores data such as your text messages, contacts you created or synchronized to your phone, account settings, and more. This storage is managed and carefully guarded by your phone since it contains your private information. When you connect your phone to your computer, this storage is not accessible from your computer. Storage contents will be erased when you do a factory reset. Make sure to back up your data before starting a factory reset. Some apps allow you to back up to your storage card, such as People.

File storage:
    This is another built-in storage, labeled as Phone storage in your phone settings. This is where you can store your files. When you connect your phone to your computer, this storage is accessible and you can copy files between them. When you do a factory reset, you can choose whether to keep or erase the storage contents.

Harry

h s umesh, Frisco and JohnJSal like this.
  5. h s umesh

h s umesh Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2016
    Male
    what is sprint stuff?

6. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    I would guess the stuff put onto the device by Sprint, sometimes referred to as "bloat".
    Verizon and other carriers do the same thing.
    For example, on my Verizon device, I have Verizon maps, Verizon voicemail, Verizon Assistant, Verizon gopoundsand, and all those crappy apps. :)
    By the way, welcome to the forums!!