• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the main difference between Clockwork and Titanium?

floepie

Jul 19, 2010
What is the difference between these two backup solutions? I am rooted now with Clockwork Recovery installed via ROM Manager, and I have successfully created a "nandroid" backup with Clockwork.

Now, many that have Clockwork also use Titanium Backup for root users. What is the advantage of using Titanium, or does each backup method serve different purposes?

Is it that the nandroid backups can only be used on the same device on which it was created, and Titanium can be used when migrating to a new and different device in order to preserve app data?

Nandroid backs up the whole device. Titanium backs up the programs and data. Titanium is useful at restoring your installed programs when changing ROMs. Nandroid is useful in restoring your phone to a previous state. This enables you to load an experimental rom without risk of suffering a malfunctioning phone. If the new rom is bad, just restore from nandroid and the phone is again at the previous stable state..

Upvote 0
+1 on the above.

I use Nandroid rarely, as a safety net in case of failed ROM upgrades.

I use Titanium Backup daily, to make a running backup of my apps and data. It's helped me on a number of occasions where, after updating some app, I found that app was better in its previous version.

Titanium also allows you to "freeze" apps, which hides them from all menus etc. This is useful for stock apps that you can't delete but never use.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds as if it would be pretty safe to bring over a Titanium backup from one model device to a completely different model then, correct?

A "nandroid" backup, as it backs up the entire ROM, would obviously not be suitable to carrying over to a different device. However, if one were to possess two of the same exact device (only with different IMEI), would a nandroid backup from one handset be able to restore onto the other handset of the same exact model?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies. So, it sounds as if it would be pretty safe to bring over a Titanium backup from one model device to a completely different model then, correct?

A "nandroid" backup, as it backs up the entire ROM, would obviously not be suitable to carrying over to a different device. However, if one were to possess two of the same exact device (only with different IMEI), would a nandroid backup from one handset be able to restore onto the other handset of the same exact model?

From what I understand of those two processes, you are correct.

Reactions: alp44
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones