• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats the next big phone for big red?

random155

Jan 1, 2010
Ive been eligible for an upgrade since august, and I just cant pull the trigger on anything. I have the DINC, that does everything I need, minus last all day on a battery. I was thinking rezound, but its not that big of an upgrade (plus no root yet). Dont want the nexus, too big and reception issues... So my question is, whats the next big thing coming to verizon, and when? Or should I just get the rezound and enjoy the 4g goodness?

Reactions: carpdeeem
I'm in the same boat...I've been wondering what to buy for a while but the Rezound, Razr, and GNex all have their issues and aren't that compelling to me (especially at +$250 each). I honestly love my Droid X so I want something that is really going to impress me. Unfortunately, the "best" phones right now aren't that great in my opinion. I've even tried the second-tier phones in hopes of finding something better. I bought a used Bionic and sold it after 1 week. I did the same thing with the Samsung Charge. I've played extensively with my wife's Dinc2, but it's meh. And I've spent way too much time in the Verizon store trying to convince myself to buy the GNex, but I just can't pull the trigger. I think if/when the Rezound gets ICS, it would be the best phone to have. And you can scoop it up for $150 at Amazon. But by the time it gets ICS (late Q1/early Q2), there should be newer phones designed specifically for ICS with better hardware. Unfortunately, none of this answers your question about what's next for VZW. And I don't have an answer for that besides that it seems pretty scarce right now.

Upvote 0
RAZR Maxx and Droid 4 are rumored to be due out soon. RAZR Maxx is rumored to have a larger battery than the RAZR so it will be thicker. Droid 4 will be a keyboard slider like all the other Droid (1,2,3) phones but with 4G & dual core.

Hopefully quad cores will be here the end of Q1. I'm personally waiting on more info about the Samsung Galaxy 3. But it's still too early for any solid info.

CES 2012 is in 2 weeks and MWC is in 2 months so hopefully more info on new phones will be hitting the news then.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Here's all I've read on the dev Maxx -

Motorola DROID RAZR “Developer Edition” Sparks Online Protest – Operation MOSH 2.0 In Full Effect

Mobile World Congress is at the end of this month, then after that, some SGS3 news is supposed to hit.

Sure to be an interesting year, but no telling on dates from what little I've read so far. That's typical for beginning of year, though, as I recall.

Great info Early!

@OP: If you owned and modded a Nexus...you would feel different about it! No device, not even the Galaxy S III will lend itself to the infinite flexibility contained within the Nexus. I could go on but it starts simply with pure compatibility with the AOSP.

My 2¢.

Upvote 0
I wonder what the first hTC handset will be on Verizon released already running ICS/Sense 4.0? Has anyone heard anything?

I saw the leaked video of sense 4.0 in action (hTC Ville) & have to honestly say I was not too impressed. It didn't look to slick and polished & seemed to have a lot of unnecessary animations. hTC did say that they going to try to go back to the "Hero" days with sense. Not like that anyway, IMHO ... I don't think that the Ville will hit Verizon either, I think it is gsm... It is a nice looking phone though!

Maybe MWC will reveal something...

Upvote 0
Who or what exactly is 'big red'?

Big Red = Verizon Wireless

Verizon Wireless (the largest in The United States) is a mobile network provider or carrier if you will.

Rumored MWC HTC devices:
Now, the hTC Ville (very thin, 4.3" all metal unibody)
hTC Edge (4.7" rumored nvidia quad core chip)
Htc Primo (mid range 3.7" display)

Which one of these has the specs to land on VZW?

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
If I was to upgrade today, it would be a RAZR-MAXX..... but..... I'm not.

Not much was announced at the recent CES in Las Vegas, so the next big annoucements will come at Mobile World Congress later this month. It is more phone oriented than CES anyway, so I'm hoping for some cool superphones to be shown.

I bought my "X" on launch day so my 20 month upgrade becomes available in March. I'm hoping that some of the phones announced at MWC will be with the 2nd generation LTE radios, which are rumored to be much less power hungry than the current LTE radios. But then, whatever is shown at MWC, don't look for them to be released until 2nd or 3rd quarter at the earliest. That being said, even though I have an uprade coming up next month I'll most likely be waiting 'til the 2nd or probably the 3rd quarter to upgrade at the soonest.

Patiently/impatiently waiting for the release of my next phone.

Reactions: jimburn69
Upvote 0
I'm in similar boat. Came due for update in November on OG Droid. If I absolutely had to replace my Droid today, Razr, Rezound & Nexus are all pretty good choices.

My biggest disappointment is that these phones are all good but not great. That's what's making hold off on pulling the trigger (and I'm itching really badly to pull that trigger).

So as much as I want to replace my OG Droid, I'm going to wait a little bit longer for ICS to be stock on more phones.

What I did to fight the urge is to set my requirements down on paper: a) ICS, b) HD 4.3" min, c) dual or quad core, d) 32GB on board, e) 8MP+ camera with solid sensors, f) 2MP+ front camera.

Upvote 0
<snip>

What I did to fight the urge is to set my requirements down on paper: a) ICS, b) HD 4.3" min, c) dual or quad core, d) 32GB on board, e) 8MP+ camera with solid sensors, f) 2MP+ front camera.

Good action plan, 121GW...

I was at VZW this weekend and thought it was all the same, with barely much improvements from last summer. I need to get rid of my wife's OG Droid (she hates it), so maybe we'll upgrade hers and I'll get something new later this year. I have a DInc, so I'm not pushing to drop the phone in my drawer yet.

Upvote 0
I'm waiting on the Droid 4. I know how most feel about their bootloader policy, but since high-end QWERTY LTE phones are few and far between, and said policy has never ENTIRELY squelched the dev community from rooting phones, I feel like I'd be very happy with it. Honestly, the solid Moto hardware is what attracts me, and I can always bury blur under some LP goodness until root is achieved, and I flash a stock GB or ICS ROM.

Upvote 0
What does this look to you? HTC Droid incredible 3? HTC fireball? hTC Rezound 2? HTC thunderbolt 2? <please no!

http://www.androidguys.com/2012/02/10/new-htc-handset-found-with-android-4-0-lte-support/

Hmmm... Looks interesting... C'mon MWC...
Might not make it to MWC, maybe CITA In may...

Mystery-HTC-Ice-Cream-Sandwich-phone-surfaces.jpg

Upvote 0
Unless it has a 2nd generation LTE radio that actually works - I won't consider another HTC phone. I'm pretty sure that they're concerned about MY opinion!! LOL

I really want my next phone (I have an "X" now) to have the 2nd generation LTE radio in it. They're rumored to be much less battery hungry. Dual core/quad core, either will work for me. I'm really hoping that some cool phones are announced at Mobile World Congress later this month. Of course any phone showcased at MWC most likely won't be released until 2nd or 3rd quarter of this year so I'll have to be patient.

Patiently/impatiently waiting for my next phone to be announced.

Upvote 0
Motorola-Intel-Ice-Cream-Sa.jpg

An unnamed motorola phone pictured above might be the first to have ICS and use Intels Medfield platform.

Was first mentioned at the pocketnow.com website. It is expected to be shown at Mobile World Congress later this month.

No mention at this time which carrier might get it but Verizon could possibly be the one. I would expect a 2nd quarter release at the very soonest.

Reactions: blackepoxy
Upvote 0
Motorola-Intel-Ice-Cream-Sa.jpg

An unnamed motorola phone pictured above might be the first to have ICS and use Intels Medfield platform.

Was first mentioned at the pocketnow.com website. It is expected to be shown at Mobile World Congress later this month.

No mention at this time which carrier might get it but Verizon could possibly be the one. I would expect a 2nd quarter release at the very soonest.

I have been waiting for something like this to surface out of the google/motorola deal.
A motorola Phone running ICS with the on screen buttons/no capacitive keys with light Ui customization.
This phone actually doesn't look half bad...
Now, I just need to take a look at the specs...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones