• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the REAL scoop?

JWhipple

Android Enthusiast
Jan 5, 2010
Melbourne, FL
I've googled the heck out of Simple Mobile - the only thing I can find are the complaints, but it seems that the complainers are the same people blasting all over the web to try and give SM a bad name.

I'm currently with MetroPCS - but am a former T-Mobile customer.

I was happy with the T-Mobile service, but because of a serious lack of interdepartmental communications, I got screwed on a "special one time deal" with them and broke my contract.

That having been said, is there any real major difference between Simple Mobile and T-Mobile's service? I am considering picking up an unlocked handset and porting over to Simple Mobile.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I too would like some feedback.

I need a flat-rate plan for calls since the number is a business number and I converted it from a land line. I don't want to pay for those robocalls (biz calls can't be on the 'do not call' list). I sometimes get 5 or more per day.

So I'm using MetroPCS.

I'd heard about SIMple Mobile from a salesman at a phone store, and it seems like a good deal. However, I'm old enough to know that what a salesman says and the truth can be worlds apart.

Anybody using it?

Pros?

Cons?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
I was a long time t-mobile post-paid user, then switched to t-mobile pre-paid, and then recently switched to simple mobile and have been using it for about week.

So far, I've been really happy with the service. Went to a local dealer, got a sim for $20 and $40 for the first month. Transferred my number over in a few hours, and after following the instructions on setting up data and mms on the SM website, my LG Optimus T worked just as well as before. Since SM really uses T-mobile, everything is pretty much the same - process for setting up voice mails, etc.

SM's account website is best described as simple - the way I like it. It takes a few seconds to get your online account set up and have monthly recurring pay automatically debited from your credit card.

For $40/month, unlimited talk, text, and 3g data, and essentially the same cellular service as before, for me it's hard to beat.

Currently my only complaint is I haven't gotten my GPS to work, yet. From before I remember T-mobile had some sort of screwy thing built into the phone where you need to have their 3G data plan to use the GPS signal received by the phone. I think I need to find out how to change some setting to get it work with SM. Let me know if any of you know something about this....

I'd highly recommend you give SM a try if you have a t-mobile phone already and don't have a contract. If it sucks, just switch back after a month :)

Upvote 0
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but since I'm in the same boat as the OP I thought I would tag along instead of making a new thread :)

Masterlin, I appreciate your review as it sounds almost verbatim of mine except I was with Verizon previously (well, still am until I cancel my contract). I am trying out T-Mobile prepaid this so it's nice to carry around 2 phones to compare apples to apples on service, but the $30 online plan doesn't seem to cut it for the VoIP calling on GV I had planned. It keeps cutting off and getting choppy no matter what settings I try because the data speed spikes just too much and only 100 minutes is then a deal breaker to me.

Anyway, I've only seen negative reviews and some positive about simple mobile but as we know, the net can be skewed! :p Can other simple mobile users please post their honest reviews with maybe a speedtest app screenshot if possible?

If we get enough responses this thread would help a lot of people, thanks!

Upvote 0
I decided to make the jump to simple mobile in the 12th and so far it has been great! I've already blown through a few thousand minutes and a bit of data without a single peep from the head honcho for going over any unlimited claims :)

Long story short, I think it was a great decision to change! I'm getting about 200kbs down which is fine for streaming standard definition YouTube and other videos and for the price I won't complain.

Upvote 0
How good is their coverage and customer support? I am on att but would love to get a separate line and see if I get any issues by using the heck out of it. I want to use it instead of my T.E.D.-IV and see if any notices, if not I want to use even more so to see if the youtube claim below is true or not. If so, then I dont loose too much by stepping away.

Do you get a new number or do you have to have an existing number ported

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones