1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

General What's the story with this phone?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ouch1976, Apr 18, 2013.

1. ouch1976

ouch1976 Android Enthusiast

Pretty much the same specs as the S3. Nice looking form factor. Decent battery. It doesn't seem like a bad phone...but there is no interest anywhere. No dev support. Very little action in the forum. No rumors on JB update. Is this thing just a dud?

Advertisement

2. mordant80

mordant80 Lurker

It actually is a kickass little phone. I have no idea why there isn't more development on this phone. JB was just released though. I'm hoping we'll eventually see some custom roms though.

3. ninelives1972

ninelives1972 Lurker

Just received the OTA update, yesterday. Jelly Bean makes my phone even quicker and prettier...

Question: After reading several forums and all of the headaches of rooting this phone, what do you actually gain by rooting?? Just a Nub wondering.
    Thanks!!

4. kxs783kms

kxs783kms Member

You can trim some of the unwanted and useless bloat, possibly saving some battery life. You can also use apps like Titanium Backup, Root Explorer, etc. Which would work wonders if we actually had custom roms to use them for. I used OTA Rootkeeper to kee root after the JB update, it is a "must have root first" app.

5. garywsp

garywsp Lurker

I had never heard of this phone until I saw it on a Verizon page of phones that support global roaming (as the Spectrum 2 does). Grabbed a used one off of ebay two weeks ago, and had the JB OTA upgrade a couple of nights ago. My daughter has an SIII, and it compares very favorably. Considering that there are 91 posts in this thread, the phone is doomed, but getting Jelly Bean is a stunner (which, btw, received no tech press news unlike, say, even the most modest Samsung phone). The LG skin (whatever they call it) is on par with the others (HTC and Samsung--this phone replaced my wife's HTC Incredible).

6. ouch1976

I've been using the phone for the past 2 weeks and I'm really, really impressed. Super fast, very smooth, great camera/screen, etc. I'm downloading JB now which should hopefully clean up any minor glitches that I've encountered...

7. Rummaged

Rummaged Newbie

I cracked my HTC Rezound screen and Asurion which is Verizon's insurance company didn't have a replacement Rezound for me. They initially wanted to send me the Incredible 4G, but I bitched as that is a lower speced phone (qHD, not even 720P) , so the women gave me this as a counter offer.

I don't want such a big phone, but spec wise it's on par with the Rezound (slightly worse camera)

I hope I chose wisely!

8. ouch1976

Specs-wise, the Spectrum 2 blows the Rezound away. The Rezound is an older generation Qualcomm chip, so while they are clocked at the same speed, the Spectrum 2 is much faster. As well, the battery life, the larger screen, and the camera are all better on the Spectrum 2. I've owned both phones, so I'm speaking from firsthand experience.

You've lucked out in my opinion.

Rummaged likes this.
  9. Rummaged

Rummaged Newbie

I've been using it today and it is waaay faster then my rezound. I think I did luck out! This has an S4 processor while the Rezound's was an older model I'm assuming. I'll have to root to use WiFi tether. I hate rooting.

10. ouch1976

Unfortunately, the root community is very, very thin on this phone...

11. Rummaged

Rummaged Newbie

Yeah - I just checked the "All Things Root" thread and there is nothing there.

I would really like Wifi tether and not have to pay for it.

12. GrammieDroid

GrammieDroid Member

I gotta post under this thread. Speaking of wanting to forget. I posted a favorable review on the VZW site two weeks ago. They never posted it under the reviews. I think they want everyone to buy the galaxy and get more money!! Spectrum2 is a very worthwhile phone.

13. XXXGeek

XXXGeek Newbie

REASONS FOR ROOT AND WHAT DOES IT MEAN

The reason you want root access is so you can become a

14. XXXGeek

XXXGeek Newbie

WIFI TETHER FOR ROOT USERS [INSTALLATION GUIDE]

Download> wifi_tether_v3_2-beta2apk.

After installing, we need to make sure that your "Mobile Data" is turned on
    • Go into your phones->"Setting", tap on->"Data usage",
    • Now tap the->Mobile data "on/off" button at the top right corner, should be on now
    • Next start "WiFi Tether for Root Users" program
    • Then tap your menu button (bottom right)
    • Then tap on->"Settings"
    • Next tap on->"Change Device-Profile"
    • And check the box for->"Generic ICS/JB"

Now tab back one page, there you can setup a secure connection
    • Tap on-->"Enable WiFi-Encryption" to enable
    • Now to set your password
    • Tap on->"Change Passphrase"
    • Then type in your password, Done

The next step will give your wifi a custom name
    • Tap on->"Change SSID"
    • Type the name that every one can see in your network, Done

Now go back to the home page
    • Tap on your menu button again, and under Setting
    • Tap on-->"Access Control"
    • Now (at the top right corner) tap on-->"Enable"

This allows you to choose who can access your wifi
    • Now tab back to home screen
    • Tap on-->"Press to start tethering"

Please Click "[✓ Like]" If This Information was Helpfull
    LINK >LG SPECTRUM 2 VS930: ESSENTIAL TIPS & TRICKS

15. Rext

Rext Lurker

I got it for $140 on ebay...near-mint shape. Saw some selling for $200-220 brand-new.

Really sharp phone...some people don't like the design. I like the sharp corners and narrow feel. Can't get 4G in my office, kind of the norm with Droid phones.

A few apps don't work on it. LTE switch, for one. wifi tether is another.

Make sure you get a case because I saw lots of dropped/cracked ones on ebay.

PS -I rooted in < 5 min with motochopper.

16. XXXGeek

XXXGeek Newbie

HOW TO ROOT THE NEW JB 4.1.2 UPDATE FOR THE SPECTRUM 2

FOLLOW THE GUIDE BELOW TO ROOT YOUR SPECTRUM 2
    Disclaimer: Follow this guide at your own risk.
    Credit: djrbliss

REQUIREMENTS:
    • Enable USB debugging in your phone's settings, >Settings >Developer Options >OK >USB debugging.
    • USB Connectivity set to internet connection, >Settings >Programs >Connectivity >USB Connection Type >Ethernet Connection
    • Download >"LG Spectrum 2 USB drivers" for your pc
    • Always do a backup before rooting, Link >How to Backup & Restore

STEPS TO ROOTING YOUR LG SPECTRUM 2:
    1. Download and unzip this file >motochopper.zip
    2. Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable
    3. Ensure that you have the correct USB drivers installed for your Spectrum 2 device
    4. Make sure to have debugging enabled
    5. Run the script for your OS ("run.bat" for Windows, or "./run.sh" for Linux)
    6. Enjoy!

Please Click "[&#10003; Like]" If This Information was Helpfull
    LINK >SPECTRUM 2 ESSENTIAL TIPS & TRICKS
    (UPDATED MAY 14, 2013)​

GrammieDroid likes this.
  17. gcedeno75

gcedeno75 Lurker

I love this phone. We recently got jb. Im new to android from blackberry. Dont have the highest standards, but i think its excellent!!

18. djsubculture

djsubculture Lurker

I recently purchased the LG spectrum 2 from Amazon.com. Upgraded from a HTC Incredible II.
    Initial impression was great, larger screen, faster operating system, better call reception.
    My only gripe is music playback. I get random click and popping sounds when I listen to music stored on my SD card. It sounds very similar to audio drop outs that can occur on laptops or desktop PCs.

I've replaced the phone under warranty, but the problem persists. I've switched music players, tried adjusting settings. The best I've been able to do is minimize the frequency at which the clicks and pops occur.
    Any ideas on how to fix this problem, or is it a flaw of ICS?
    For the record my old Incredible II played music flawlessly.

19. overdope

overdope Member

So what does it take to NOT security error my phone and obtain root access like I did with the 4.0.4 original Spectrum heh..I can't afford to do all that again with with the new one but I'm afraid to do this method because of that...plus my phone is very smooth right now but I need to tether!! Does it replace it with a custom kernel or something? Thanks in advance it's killing me to have a boring stock phone :(