• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the weather like where you are?

yeah it was 109 where i was , i think the people who started this fire with dumb idea to like Pyrotechnic at a Gender reveal party should be fined big time!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, they're probably going to be fined. The local news said they could be held liable for all costs involved with the fire. Hundreds of thousands, at least. Millions...and millions...if houses were damaged. :eek:

What gets me is that this is NOT NEW. I grew up here with fire safety drilled into my head. I've been watching a childhood show lately, Adam-12, and in a 1968 episode the officers talked to two boys hiking up in the mountains. They asked if they had matches [no], and then said 'when it's this dry, looking cross-eyed at it can start a fire...'

I can't believe the stupidity of the couple who thought a pyrotechnic device in 115°, BONE DRY conditions was a brilliant idea. :mad:

Upvote 0
A video of a precision water-drop was posted on Ring by a neighbor, whose location is in the circle. My aunt's house is to the right and above the circle. :eek:

Screenshot_20200909-194042.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
water_drop.jpg

ok so this photo is bad i know. this is a picture on the 210 freeway. i just caught the tail end of a drop from the airplane. the red you see in the mountain is not fire, but the retardant dropped from the airplane. i saw it all, but grabbed the phone a tad late.

@MoodyBlues i was thinking of your aunt when i saw this. how is she doing? is she vacuated yet?

Reactions: MoodyBlues
Upvote 0
I called my aunt at work Tuesday, @ocnbrze, something I NEVER do. But when the news said 'the foothills of Arcadia and Sierra Madre' may be next to evacuate, I needed to be sure she was aware. She wasn't. So she called me back later, and had gotten all her important things ready to go. Oh, when she got home that day, there were four messages [on her landline] from the City of Arcadia, with various warnings about evacuating. She said Santa Anita was barricaded, and she had to show proof of her address to be allowed up.

There's an eerie orange glow here.

Awesome pic, by the way.

Upvote 0
Dallas? :thinking:

Nah...that was 100+ degrees with 90+ percent humidity... :rolleyes:
i can't even imagine what 90% humidity would be like......sounds horrible!!!!!!!

and i think in a weird way the ash that is covering our sky is contributing to the cool down we are having......not sure if that is accurate, but that is what it looks and feels like.

Upvote 0
i can't even imagine what 90% humidity would be like......sounds horrible!!!!!!!
It was! How this native Angeleno ever ended up living in that hell-hole is unbelievable. Summer temperatures of 110° with 98% humidity were normal. Living here, in our beautiful San Gabriel Valley, we understand hot...but HUMID? Like that? No!

and i think in a weird way the ash that is covering our sky is contributing to the cool down we are having......not sure if that is accurate, but that is what it looks and feels like.
Yeah. I agree.

It's not as dark and orange today in Arcadia; how is it in West Covina?

Upvote 0
It was! How this native Angeleno ever ended up living in that hell-hole is unbelievable. Summer temperatures of 110° with 98% humidity were normal. Living here, in our beautiful San Gabriel Valley, we understand hot...but HUMID? Like that? No!

Yeah. I agree.

It's not as dark and orange today in Arcadia; how is it in West Covina?
it's nice....suns out, definitely not orange.....lol

there is a lovely breeze right now.

smoking my after breakfast cigar and will be going out to costco soon.

Upvote 0
Just got this alert, then called my aunt--it's EXACTLY where she lives:

Screenshot_20200913-101758.png

Screenshot_20200913-101813.png

She went out by the pool as we talked, and saw several water-dropping helicopters. She went back in and watched two fire engines go by. She has one car packed with her important stuff...and is on her way out right now.

Upvote 0
Just got this alert, then called my aunt--it's EXACTLY where she lives:
She went out by the pool as we talked, and saw several water-dropping helicopters. She went back in and watched two fire engines go by. She has one car packed with her important stuff...and is on her way out right now.
that's good to here.....crossing my fingers that her house will be ok.

Upvote 0
that's good to here.....crossing my fingers that her house will be ok.
Thanks, buddy, me too. My cousin and I have many fond memories at that house. Unlike both of my childhood homes, hers hasn't fallen to a wrecking ball.

My uncle and his first wife bought that house in 1967. The news this morning said that area hasn't burned in more than 60 years, so basically not during our lifetimes. My cousin...well, she's not currently speaking to my aunt/her stepmother. She was fine with her father remarrying, some six years after her mom died. But money has reared its ugly head...long story.

Anyway, my aunt has never been anything but kind and caring toward me, so I'm letting them work it out themselves. Meanwhile, I'm very worried that the house may burn down...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones