• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's the weather like where you are?

got 2.5" and Schuylkill county looks like this
One of our big rains (don't recall which one) turned a lot of places into lakes like that. I got a lot of rain but no standing water/floods but only a mile or so away from me had sunken cars like that picture. It's crazy how that works.

Upvote 0
It has been like this for almost 4 weeks now ...

2018-08-13 (1).png

At least we get one day to cut the swampy, bug-infested grass/weed mix.

Upvote 0
To answer your question (seriously) @dontpanicbobby, we were commenting on this the other day. We haven't really had much thunder or lightning. A lot of heavy rain, and more heavy rain after that, but little wind, no hail and only a rumble here and there. It's pretty much as how @Unforgiven described it ... wring out the moisture in the air, evaporate it back into circulation, rinse and repeat.

Upvote 0
When I was growing up in Florida, I could set my watch by the afternoon showers. We often had some spectacular lightning storms, of course, and many an afternoon/evening was spent on the front porch watching the fireworks.

Storms coming in from the South were especially fine-- the clouds were and angry green color and we knew we were in for a fine show and torrential rains.

On the opposite side, thunderstorms in California are much rarer, not nearly as entertaining (nor torrential, but it's happened), but when you live in a valley surrounded by mile-high mountains, the thunder echoes make for an interesting background aesthetic, particularly when your skies are clear, but there's this pervasive rumbling coming from everywhere...

I just got back from a mini-vaca down Ventura-way-- it was only in the mid-90s, breezy, and of course humid (we had a small beach mostly to ourselves to watch a pod a of dolphin play just outside the surf-line... oh and one kinda creepy-looking seal eyeballing the girls in their bikinis) which still felt cooler than the hundred-teens we'd been suffering under for the past month-plus.

Now, returning to the desert, I am happy to note that the under-triple-digits will last for a few more days, though that is tempered (or perhaps enabled by) the pall of smoke being blown in from the fires on the other side of the mountains up and down the range.

Upvote 0
According to the garden rain gauge, we got 4.5" this morning. Good thing we didn't get any more, the gauge only goes to 5". The afternoon was rather quiet and the sun even peeked out several times.

Flood warnings are up for a few creeks and rivers as they crest overnight, but nothing too near to the house, so we're good. Then we start this all over again tomorrow with more storms forecast.

2018-08-13 (2).png

Upvote 0
So, this is my view during my daily commute:

There's a young Joshua tree near the center of the picture. Otherwise, it's mostly tumbleweed, creosote, and garbage.

When the picture was taken (yesterday), it was only 102° F and something like 20% humidity. With a little smoke drifting over the mountains from the west.

Attachments

• 20180814_131659.jpg
    20180814_131659.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones