• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whats this and whats it used for com.lge.launcher3

"launcher3" was a generic name for a stock launcher provided with the android operating system, so it's quite possible that both Motorola and LG based their launchers on it. So if both are called "launcher3" that probably means nothing at all. The "lge" in this one's package name means LG Electronics, so it's almost certainly the one that came with the phone (I expect the motorola one was called something like "com.motorola.launcher3" - I doubt that anyone would port the LG launcher onto a moto).

From your and Luna's posts it sounds like LG are using a different launcher in their flagship models (G5 and G6) from their lower-end ones (like the Dynasty).

In any event, a launcher is nothing to worry about. Different launchers provide different ways of customising your homescreens, but that's all they do. I never use the built-in launcher on any of my phones because I always find them too inflexible, so I always install a replacement from the Play Store (e.g. Google think my Pixel needs their search bar at the bottom of my screen - they can forget that!).

Upvote 0
"launcher3" was a generic name for a stock launcher provided with the android operating system, so it's quite possible that both Motorola and LG based their launchers on it. So if both are called "launcher3" that probably means nothing at all. The "lge" in this one's package name means LG Electronics, so it's almost certainly the one that came with the phone (I expect the motorola one was called something like "com.motorola.launcher3" - I doubt that anyone would port the LG launcher onto a moto).

From your and Luna's posts it sounds like LG are using a different launcher in their flagship models (G5 and G6) from their lower-end ones (like the Dynasty).

In any event, a launcher is nothing to worry about. Different launchers provide different ways of customising your homescreens, but that's all they do. I never use the built-in launcher on any of my phones because I always find them too inflexible, so I always install a replacement from the Play Store (e.g. Google think my Pixel needs their search bar at the bottom of my screen - they can forget that!).

Upvote 0
hello iam new here and this app has froze up both of my REVVL5Gs From T MO. i called TCL becouse they are the ppl that installed android 10. and they said it was a launcher. since when does a launcher crash your phone. T mo seems to think its Malware. ive also tried to contact Google play store but due to COVID am not able to contact them so i can get them to take this off play store. dont get me wrong, this little phone is really good despite the battery drainage and the malware app..this is ONLY temp till MOTO releases a 5G For Tmo thats not a flip phone. i would post screen shots but still getting used to this..if iam able to edit the post ill post the screen shots

Upvote 0
http://screenshot_20201002-045622

Upvote 0
The REVVL line of phones from T-Mobile are their budget line. I couldn't find too much about who actually makes them so it's likely a "lowest-bidder" in China. The crashing launcher could be anything, but if Android 10 was recently installed, then I'd suspect something in the system cache that's either corrupt or incompatible. A factory reset should clear that up. If you are using a 3rd party launcher, it can easily crash on a the wrong phone. They can't test them all. If it is a launcher you installed, then try a different one. There are plenty of reliable, proven launchers available.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones