1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What's up with all these keyboards?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by MoodyBlues, Jan 25, 2020.

1. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

In System Settings, I have a bunch of keyboards that I know I didn't install, such as the four shown here:

x1Screenshot_20200122-133733.jpg

and the first entry here:

x3Screenshot_20200122-133831.jpg

Oddly, the first four--which I will never need--cannot be uninstalled, and trying to disable them yields this stern warning:

x2Screenshot_20200122-134000.jpg

The other one, the 'Daydream' keyboard, can be uninstalled.

I guess my question is, what dire consequences might I face by disabling the ones that can't be uninstalled? Surely nothing like bricking the phone...right? :eek:

Also, WTF are Daydream apps? That's what that one keyboard is for, but I have no idea what they are.

Advertisement

MrJavi likes this.
  2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I've never seen things like Google Pinyin Input installed as system(baked in}) on any device. What phone is it? If you've got no need to be typing in Chinese, or Japanese, etc. they can certainly be safely disabled

3. MoodyBlues

It's a Moto Z² Force Edition, Mike--purchased directly from Motorola in the USA.

I keep meaning to ask if you're anywhere near that coronavirus outbreak. I hope you're okay.

MrJavi and mikedt like this.
  4. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

Generally, any keyboard can be disabled or uninstalled without worry- so long as another useable keyboard is left or has already been installed.

Personally, if you care for security at all, I would dump all Google keyboards and attachments.

Look for a keyboard with no internet capabilities.

Figurevout what you want and need in a keyboard.

For plenty of bells and whistles, Swift is nice, but it is not as secure as Hacker's Keyboard (also called ESC sometimes).

For a total utilitarian and secure keyboard, try Simple Keyboard.

MrJavi, mikedt and MoodyBlues like this.
  5. MoodyBlues

I've been using Hacker's since its inception--and have no plans to stop. :)

I love its full-keyboard features.

This is my current configuration/look:

HackersKeyboard_1.jpg

HackersKeyboard_2.jpg
    I change it up from time to time, in terms of its design, but always with the same layout.

6. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Enthusiast

God! That thing is huge!

I have too many preferences, so I use Simple when in portrait mode. (Notice the symbols/numbers right on the main keys, and the small size allowing more screen viewing.)

But Simple only has one size adjustment, so it's Hacker's for landscape mode.

Too bad that Hacker's doesn't have the same on-key symbols and long press options, or that Simple doesn't offer two different sizes.

I wanted to screenshot my Simple and Hacker's as well, but for some reason it disappears when I try a screenshot.

MrJavi likes this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I'm spending most of the Chinese New Year in Ireland, UK, and Holland. I'm currently in London, go to Amsterdam on Tuesday. So I think I'm safe enough.

MoodyBlues and MrJavi like this.
  8. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

My phone has a few of those, and as you can see from the screenshot I disabled them (a long time ago actually). The world didn't end.

Screenshot_20200125-103609.png

MoodyBlues likes this.
  9. MrJavi

MrJavi Android Expert

Ha
    Have fun and Happy New Year @mikedt :)

MoodyBlues likes this.
  10. MoodyBlues

Check it out in landscape!:

Screenshot_20200125-124537.png

But do note that I never use it in landscape, hence I haven't fiddled with its settings. If I did, I'd make it shorter.
    I haven't looked at Hacker's settings in a long time, but are you sure it doesn't have options for symbols/numbers?

I know it does for size. I've made mine a comfortable height for typing and for seeing plenty of the screen:

Screenshot_20200125-125348.png

Double-check its settings, puppy; I know it has various options for key placement.
    You might want to try a screenshot app that lets you set a delay before snapping a shot. I've had that feature forever on my computers with Kubuntu's default screenshot app, but I've never needed it on Android so I can't recommend anything.

11. MoodyBlues

Good! I'm glad. That virus is nasty. Last I heard, some ≈25 million people (2 entire cities/regions) had been quarantined--with armed guards preventing their exit. :eek:

We don't want to see you on the news, Mike, so behave yourself! :D