1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

What's with FM Radio and Android?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by su30mki117, May 1, 2010.

1. su30mki117

su30mki117 New Member

Apr 30, 2010
    I just noticed that most of the Android phones don't come equipped with an FM radio tuner whereas even the most basic phones today have them. Is there a specific reason behind this or do the companies simply believe that FM radio has already become obsolete:rolleyes:?

Advertisement

2. dmodert66

dmodert66 Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2009
    Project Manager
    Southern California
    Not sure which phones have it, but supposedly FM radio will be turned on (for phones that support it) with Froyo's release (2.2) (May/June)...

3. DarlingScrewtape

Apr 19, 2010
    Endsville, GA
    What are this thing which you are calling a radio?

4. photographx

photographx Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2010
    The incredible as an FM radio, but with all the music options (Pandora for one), I would only use it if there was a natural disaster and I needed emergency information.

5. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Probably with things like Internet radio and 3G service becoming more common, and cell phones now able to take large memory cards, its becoming a less desirable feature. To be honest, I never listen to the radio anymore. Mainly because all they play is crap on most stations, but that's a topic for another thread. Pandora is very good at picking the kind of music I like, and of course there is always my personal music on the memory card.

6. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    The Desire has FM radio.

But like others, I don't listen to radio anymore. Only use I can see is, as the other poster said, in times of natural disaster or severe service outage.