• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's with the lack of Android phones in the UK?

They're the only high-end ones in the UK. (I think... :\) The US have a lot more (Droid X, Incredible, Droid 2 etc)

There are what, 4 iPhone iterations, 3 of which are outdated? But you don't hear about people complaining about a lack of iOS phones. But when we 'only' have 5 or 6 high end Android phones it isn't enough? There's more than enough choice, surely. If you can't find everything you want on one of them, you're being a bit picky.

Upvote 0
lol, 2bh, i'd probably say four of them are outdated ^^

they released the iphone 4 with mediocre components anyway. you can sure as hell bet its not a 1GHz processor in there, otherwise they'd be singing it from the hills as 'the first phone with blistering 1GHz processing speed)

RAM on the phone isn't up to date if i remember correctly either. seriously, they released a mediocre phone that was pretty outdated before it got released, but it still sold like hotcakes because its the new iphone, its made by apple, and it has the app store..

now now, i know what you may be thinking, and i can assure you. im not an anti-apple fanboy. it just annoys me how they can charge a ridiculous price tag for mediocre spec phones :)

Upvote 0
i think you're fist may get tired. i'd get the 3GS before getting the iphone 4. but then again, i'd take my desire every day of the week over them. saying that, i did enjoy my ipod touch until it broke, couldn't be bothered with it afterwards..

just some of the marketing ploys that apple employ and some people mop it up.. like the video calling. how does that change everything again? it was around way before the iphone. my PoS samsung had video calling. and i wouldn't not pay

Upvote 0
The simple facts are, it's priced way higher than the top android phones, and has worse specifications in almost all areas. And you have to pay for a greater proportion of apps than on Android. I'm not saying the iPhones are bad or anything, but they're disgustingly overpriced, and if you buy one without properly researching the alternatives and weighing the pros and cons you're a moron. And literally millions of people did just that. It drives me insane! :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
they're not bad phones, they just sell ridiculously well because of the prestige of having an iphone.. and apple know that they can charge whatever price they want because people will buy it. and people will continue. they change just enough in every iteration to distinguish it from the others and 'justify' its price tag..

for that money, why does it not have a camera like the satio, 720p recording at 30fps, 1Ghz processor, more RAM, 4G (not sure if it does have it?) and more..

it

Upvote 0
I hear you and I agree, I'm just saying that your average run of the mill user probably won't even know the difference between 600mhz and 1ghz, they might even think the first is faster! ;)

Y'know - most of us geeks aren't quite as geeky as we think. The majority of 'noobs' would know the difference between 1Ghz and 600Mhz (is capitalisation important here? better ask an expert), and any idiot would know that a faster processor means more recharging.

Anyway, better go - my Desire needs recharging....

Upvote 0
faster processor doesn't necessarily mean more re charging.. could run more efficiently than the older 600 mhz ones for all we know :)

my desire has been relatively decent today..almost 11 hours in before charging and my battery is sitting on 79% with moderate use..

More efficient? Really? Not just 67% faster?

I've done two things today to make my battery life double. One is a fact - didn't run eBuddy all day long. The other is still open for debate - i uninstalled ATK. I'm not sure about the second point - I've had that installed almost as long as i've had my phone.

Upvote 0
Y'know - most of us geeks aren't quite as geeky as we think. The majority of 'noobs' would know the difference between 1Ghz and 600Mhz (is capitalisation important here? better ask an expert), and any idiot would know that a faster processor means more recharging.

Anyway, better go - my Desire needs recharging....

I believe so. The capitalised G is the symbol for the SI prefix giga and Hz with the capitalised H is the symbol for the SI unit hertz.

Upvote 0
More efficient? Really? Not just 67% faster?

I've done two things today to make my battery life double. One is a fact - didn't run eBuddy all day long. The other is still open for debate - i uninstalled ATK. I'm not sure about the second point - I've had that installed almost as long as i've had my phone.

well as technology advances, it obviously becomes more efficient at what it does :)

the 1GHz processor is newer tech than the old 600Mhz processor, so you would assume that as tech progresses, it gets more advanced, faster, more efficient, requires lower voltage to run at a higher level, etc. im only speculating though, so i can't supply you with any evidence, but it kind of seems like common sense?

yes, not having ebuddy running in the background all day with definately help lol.. turning off background data, mobile network, etc will also really help with battery life when you're not using it.. having a black background can really help aswell, AMOLED wont need to consume as much power as a white background would need.

and removing ATK is purely spectacle.. some will say its bad to kill apps, that the android system is designed to manage them, and some will say that its fine. personally, i've found my battery to be better since uninstalling ATK..

Upvote 0
and removing ATK is purely spectacle.. some will say its bad to kill apps, that the android system is designed to manage them, and some will say that its fine. personally, i've found my battery to be better since uninstalling ATK..

When android was first out, the hype was about multi-tasking AND killing apps.

Now the consensus seems to be against task managers. Anyway, since I upgraded to froyo, half the task killers don't even work anymore.

Off the point (or rather on the point), can someone explain how a thread about the lack of good androids in the UK is now about iphones and battery usage? :cool:

Upvote 0
Today I was out at the Westfield shopping centre in London, and there seemed to be an Android ad wherever I turned my head! Samsung is heavily advertising Galaxy 9000 over the billboards. Red buses are full of HTC Wildfire ads. And Carphone Warehouse had a nice interactive ads at Westfield screens, showcasing apps related to shopping or going to concerts. I really liked it; it reminded me of those iPhone ads featuring apps. The visibility of Android seems to have skyrocketed in just a few months.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones