• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's with these 16GB phones Verizon keeps pushing?

jova33

Android Expert
Oct 19, 2011
El Paso
I got a smartphone after Verizon stopped offering unlimited data, and I have been up for an upgrade since March.
I was ready to get a DNA, and was about to buy once I heard they unlocked the bootloader, went into a store, and they only have a 16GB version. Wth.
So, I'm reading across the interwebs that there's an exploit to unlock the S4 bootloader. Again, ready to pre-order, and there's only a 16GB version. Sure, you can pop in a 64GB SD card, but some apps won't install on SD, and even with a rooted device if you push them to SD, they won't run properly.
They even discontinued their 32GB S3.
So what's the deal with this? I'm reading about Verizon reps trying to push their cloud services. Ok, with a limited data plan, you want me to store my stuff on the Verizon cloud, for what? So I'll dish out more cash for more data?
What new android phones, 5 - 4.5 inch and have 32GB internal, are being released by Verizon?
The Note isn't an option, and even if it were, I'm reading there's only a 16 GB version. If it doesn't fit in my jeans pocket, it's no longer a phone.

I had that problem with the DNA so I did not buy it and chose to get the Note 2 instead which allows me to do an sd card swap. But I recently invested in a kickstarter project that will help me get around the 16gb and no expandable memory so that I will have extra memory to store media and just store apps on my phone or tablet. But Verizon will be the network I stick with until someone builds a network that can rival it and until then phones with or without sd cards won't change m mind.

Upvote 0
I had that problem with the DNA so I did not buy it and chose to get the Note 2 instead which allows me to do an sd card swap. But I recently invested in a kickstarter project that will help me get around the 16gb and no expandable memory so that I will have extra memory to store media and just store apps on my phone or tablet. But Verizon will be the network I stick with until someone builds a network that can rival it and until then phones with or without sd cards won't change m mind.

That does look pretty sweet!
Still doesn't solve the problem of internal memory. Also, the Note is too big for my liking. I like to use my phone's with one hand, and until I get those finger extenders, I'm going to say 5 inch screen is my limit.

Edit: and yes, it is frustrating. I keep a nandroid backup, titanium backup, current gapps, and the .zip of the current ROM I'm running just in case something breaks I can have my phone up and running in about 15 mins. And yes, I have done stupid stuff and soft bricked my GNex several times. I take a lot of pictures and videos, and generally keep them all on my phone even after copying them all to a hard drive. I have Sonic CD and some other Sonic game installed for the kids. And I really don't think SD cards are that dependable. So, anything less than 32GB just isn't going to work. Plus I kinda want to keep my phone for a couple of years before upgrading, so who knows what I'll need more storage for in the future?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones