• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help whats wrong with my battery?

mdw

Dec 26, 2012
My battery only seems to last 7 hours. Brand new Galaxy Note II on AT&T.

Was there a kind of error with the last multi window update? If so, how can I fix it?

I browsed the net a little, played a game for a bit. A few texts. Hardly anything unusual.

Hi

Thats not so good. I get about 17hrs 100-15% with quite heavy use, but I use Juice Defender to manage the power use. I don't let it get down to 7% as I have heard its not good for the battery.

How many radios do you have on
wifi (clearly) but what about bluetooth, data, NFC, GPS ? These all draw power. Try turning on Power Saving in settings. The motion settings enable the motion sensors so this may also be contributing to power drain if enabled. If you have everything turned on that may explain it, but if not I think you may have a faulty battery. Could you swap batteries with someone for a day to test it?

Roger

Reactions: mdw
Upvote 0
Thanks! Whats NFC and how can I turn it off? How about how to turn off all the motion controls? I'm trying power saving mode now. Can't swap a battery with anyone.

NFC is Near Field Communication and in settings under the more settings it has a toggle for NFC and S Beam you can make sure they off. Motion is also in settings and has a toggle as well,

hope this helps

cheers!

Upvote 0
Hi again

Is better but not great. Have you increased the sync intervals for Facebook and email. If set to 5 mins it is a big battery drain. I really suggest you install Juice Defender and work slowly through the advanced settings to set up the phone as you want it. It's quite a sophisticated program (turn off the phones built in power saver in settings as it may conflict)
I heard that the max brightness in 4.1.2 is 200% brighter than in 4.1.1 (lucidmike78 youtube video) and this may explain any change after your upgrade as the screen the largest battery user.

Roger

Upvote 0
:/ Had power save mode on.... auto brightness on... gps off for quite a while, multi window off for a while, used it lightly here and there throughout the day...
I got like 5 hours more. But no where near the rest of you.

http://www.imgur.com/ZENIX.png
http://www.imgur.com/EPBhF.png

Any advice?

Click "Screen" and check your screen on time. Looks like you have about 5 to 6 hours of screen on time. That sounds about right. If you set your screen to about 30%, you would get about 8 hours of screen on time. Anything higher will lower that.

Upvote 0
:/ Had power save mode on.... auto brightness on... gps off for quite a while, multi window off for a while, used it lightly here and there throughout the day...
I got like 5 hours more. But no where near the rest of you.

Any advice?

You could do a battery recalibration and see if that helps as well. Charge to 100% then let battery drain completely or until phone shuts off. Then charge back to 100% do not interrupt the charge.

If I turn off data and wifi, then put the phone down overnight I lose 1-2% battery life over 8-10 hours... So maybe try to turn things off you're not using(gps, nfc, bluetooth...)

Although this is the best way to conserve battery and extend the battery, what's the point of a smart phone then? :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones