• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root whats wrong with my wifes DHD???

davo26

Android Enthusiast
Jun 5, 2011
hi

both me and my wife have got rooted DHDs, ive just rooted hers myself, and installed the same rom, jellytime. i got in today and she says her phone has just stopped working. i looked at it, and sure enough, nothing happening when i either press power or vol down + power.
she says the battery had run out, so she plugged it in, but it never came back on. every now and then it tried to boot, got as far as saying jellytime, then died again, even with my full battery swapped over.

she has a spare battery, so i tried that. nothing. i then tried my full battery, and still the same, nothing. after a few mins of taking covers off, holding vol down + power, i eventually got the boot screen up where i could choose recovery. i did a nandroid, the tried reboot. up to jellytime screen, then died.

after a few more attempt at vol down +power, i got boot screen again. this time i did a full wipe and installed jellytime from zip again and booted. it went into safe mode and booted, i skipped most steps, then it said phone was ready to use.
once screen was off tho, thats it again, cant get it back on.

any ideas as to whats wrong? she has been complaining of it lagging and being sluggish. i had installed ice cold sandwich which was messing up for her, so thats why i put JT on for her.

thanks for any suggestions.....

Have you tried restoring a stock backup? If that doesn't work,try installing a different Rom. Failing that,it may be time to try running an RUU

i bought it second hand with stock software, and wife said it kept lagging, so thats why i rooted it. started with ICS, same, so went onto jellytime. no difference.

today, the screen comes on with the home page, but she cant open anything. the lock wont swipe across to unlock. could this be a screen issue you think?

Upvote 0
i bought it second hand with stock software, and wife said it kept lagging, so thats why i rooted it. started with ICS, same, so went onto jellytime. no difference.

today, the screen comes on with the home page, but she cant open anything. the lock wont swipe across to unlock. could this be a screen issue you think?

It could be. But phones can react differently to custom software and firmware combinations. I would definately try a stock Rom,then an ruu so you can eliminate that as a prollem.

Upvote 0
It could be. But phones can react differently to custom software and firmware combinations. I would definately try a stock Rom,then an ruu so you can eliminate that as a prollem.

ok thanks. ive never done that before, could you point me in the direction of an RUU thats compatible with the '3' network please, and a walkthrough?

thanks

Upvote 0
ok thanks. ive never done that before, could you point me in the direction of an RUU thats compatible with the '3' network please, and a walkthrough?

thanks

do you know her original build number or CID? if not,id prolly just suggest the unbranded sense 3.0 rom.

there are a couple ways to do it:
1)download this version:
Shipped ROMs
run it as administrator on your PC. place the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) and plug in when instructed. youll see a fastboot usb when its plugged in,if youre on the correct screen.

2)download this version:
Shipped ROMs
rename it PD98IMG and place it on your sd card. boot to hboot,and it shiould find the file and ask you to update.

hopefully one of those will fix you up. you did run the aahk,and are s-off and superCID,correct?

Upvote 0
do you know her original build number or CID? if not,id prolly just suggest the unbranded sense 3.0 rom.

there are a couple ways to do it:
1)download this version:
Shipped ROMs
run it as administrator on your PC. place the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) and plug in when instructed. youll see a fastboot usb when its plugged in,if youre on the correct screen.

2)download this version:
Shipped ROMs
rename it PD98IMG and place it on your sd card. boot to hboot,and it shiould find the file and ask you to update.

hopefully one of those will fix you up. you did run the aahk,and are s-off and superCID,correct?

thanks a lot, ill try that when im home in a few days. it looks like both those links are the same file yes? just different ways to go about it?

not sure which way to try yet. and yes, i ran aahk, the phones s-off, but not sure what you mean by superCID.

thanks

Upvote 0
hmmmm........ strange....

i just put my sd card in, that ive just partitioned with EXT4 and wiped, reinstalled jellytime from my card, and its all smoooooth so far. so ill put a hold on the RUU for now thanks, unless it plays up.

one thing i tried was to go into terminal, typed 'su', then 'aps2sd install' to try and force it to use the new partition instead of internal, however, there seems to be a problem with that and it says aps2sd not found.

anyone able to advise on this please?

thanks

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
hmmmm........just a bit of an update on this as its baffling me.

the phone is fine for long periods, but then it just stops working. i got it going by going into aahk last time, wiping and reinstalling zip and it worked. problem is tho, its just pot luck whether the screen stays on long enough to do this.

today ive been at it for a few hours trying. sometimes it just boots into jellytime, but before it finishes it just goes off and wont come back on. every now and then after battery out and in again, holding vol and power, i get the recovery screen and quickly try to get it to wipe and reinstall, but just as im trying to choose something, the screen goes off again and nothing again.

so i cant instal anything to fix this anyway. if the screen stayed on long enough to try anything else, then itd be on long enough to instal JT from the zip again, so its just that the screen keeps going off thats the problem.

any ideas?? its driving me nutty :-D

EDIT: latest attempt was the recovery screen, i selected back up and restore, it vibrated, screen went off, then booted into JT but stopped and screen went off again.

Upvote 0
Know you said it doesn't always behave in recovery... Have you thought about trying a different ROM?
yeah its done it with ICS too thanks.

just got it going again and noticed the difference this time was vol down and power took it to the 'bootloader' screen with the skateboarding androids, the one where you can choose recovery.

before it was just going into recovery without me choosing it to for some reason. tis strange :-/

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
It hasn't been into any water in it's life has it? Maybe some corrosion only now making itself known?

Dave
dont know its history as i bought it second hand, but i trust the original owner.

if you boot to recovery is it stable there? or will it randomly reboot in recovery as well?
once its working fine, itll boot into recovery ok and do everything asked of it just as a normal rooted DHD. its just once it decides to go into 'screen off after a few seconds' mode it just does things that dont make sense to me. or anyone else come to think of it :)

thanks

Upvote 0
When its acting up... Is it fine in recovery,or is it rebooting?
when its acting up i cant do anything with it. i try vol down + power and most of the time nothing. then every now and then recovery screen, but as soon as i start moving down the list to try and select something it goes into boot up. and gets as far as the jellytime screen for a few seconds then just goes blank again.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones