• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's You Favorite Android Keyboard?...

FlexT9. The Swype-like recognition is good, and the speech recognition is fabulous; much better than Google's. I can dictate a paragraph of a few sentences (as a single dictation) and then only need to make a few manual corrections.

I do wish that FlexT9 was as good as Swype with regards to the mechanics of fixing errors.

Upvote 0
I've used Swype, SlideIT, and FlexT9 and have settled for the moment on FlexT9. I really prefer the suggestion bar to the pop-up style suggestions in Swype, and it's nice not having to squiggle for double letters and swoop down for the apostrophe in contractions. I do miss the numeric and cursor control keypads that Swype has, though.

I also use Hacker's Keyboard with ConnectBot for SSH, since it allows input of control characters and ESC without a trackball, which my current phone does not have. It works quite well, but the keys are too small for use on a regular basis.

Finally, I also use Inserty to facilitate entering frequently-used difficult-to-type phrases like my email address and passwords, as well as things like the current date and time.

If I add any more keyboards to my phone, my "input method" pop-up won't all fit on one screen any more! :)

Upvote 0
FlexT9.

I do wish that FlexT9 was as good as Swype with regards to the mechanics of fixing errors.

Switched from Swype to FlexT9 as well.

I think when you have to tap out a word instead of swyping it, the FlexT9 keyboard is so much better than Swype.

When you miss a mistake with FlexT9 though, you can't click on the word and then pull up alternates, like swype. You have to delete and re-swipe it.

I'm still going back and forth, but been using FlexT9 mostly.

I'm hoping one of the 2 is going to have a killer update that winds up putting it ahead for good.

I also hate how both save tapped out words automatically in the dictionary. I wind up with hmmmm and awwww and things like that in my dictionary. I think though with FlexT9 those come up a lot less in the word choice windows. I'm just thinking now how that doesn't seem to bother me as much on FlexT9 as on Swype.

Upvote 0
I'm a longtime NaturallySpeaking user as well. In a post above, I mentioned dictating a paragraph; as in NaturallySpeaking, this works best if you explicitly dictate your punctuation when dictating to FlexT9. E.g. (quoting Churchill):

From now on comma ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with which I will not put period

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones