• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your 3G speed?

gtl408

Aug 6, 2010
Just curious if any of you proud Fascinate owners have run the Speed.net app or the FCC speedtest app with your new phone, yet? I have the other CDMA based cousin, Epic 4G, and a lot of us have been experiencing an upload cap of around 200 Kbps over Sprint 3G (http://androidforums.com/samsung-epic-4g/166945-lousy-down-up-load-speed-3g.html). Could any of you be kind enough to report back any speed test results that you've done? It might give us more of a clue on whether it's a Sprint issue or a general problem with Samsung's CDMA radios. We've all called Sprint and they were unaware of the issue at the time, so many of us are awaiting call backs from Sprint for updates on our support tickets. Thanks in advance!

I ran the speed test on the store demo and the UL speed was in 1700 range on the Fascinate and 1500s on my DX even though my DX signal was at 81db and the Fascinate at 91db. Does that make any sense? I thought the phone with the better signal would have faster 3G speeds. The browser on the Fascinate was a few seconds faster than my DX when loading webpages also.

Upvote 0
Awesome, thanks for the responses. Looks like the upload issue is specific to the Epic 4G and/or Sprint. The Fascinate looks like a winner in terms of its radio throughput. If you guys notice your signal bouncing around, you may want to do a speed test for when you see a weak signal and when the signal is strong. That would be a good indicator for you if the signal indicator is full of BS or not. Also, if you notice your battery draining a bit even when idle, you should check setting -> about phone -> battery use -> cell standby to see if your time without service is abnormally high when you know you've been in a good cell service area. For us Epic users, it's a bug that has a work around of toggling on and off the airplane mode. Anyway, thanks, again!

Upvote 0
speedtest.net:

814 down, 546 up, 163 ping

I'm in Portland, OR and its using a server in Kansas...I don't know why.

Because your GPS can't get a lock on your location, so it defaults to Kansas for some reason. The trick is to go to settings -> location and ensure the wireless networks setting is checked. Then turn on your wi-fi before launching the speedtest app, go to the apps setting tab and select the closest server to you. Then make sure you turn off wi-fi before kicking off the test.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones