• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your battery drain while sleeping through the night?

strodda

Android Enthusiast
May 11, 2011
Before I was having a wakelock issue that was being cause by an app. So I uninstalled and solved that problem, but what kind of battery drain are you guys getting through the night or any extended period of time without use?

Last night, I was losing about 1%/hr, maybe a tiny bit more. I know thats not necessarily bad, but I read somewhere that someone had lost 1% through the night. I searched around and from what I found, the small drain was caused by the kworkers.

So over extended periods without use, what percentages are you guys getting on battery loss?

I hardly lose any at all. The past few nights I have taken the phone off the charger at 3AM then when I wake up at 7AM it is still at 100%.

I also can go for hours at night without any drain showing. This morning I took my phone off the charger around 5am, checked it at work around 7:30am and it was still at 100% and I had even used it a little.

Upvote 0
Interesting. I'm on wi-fi at home and I see 1%/hr at idle.

I dont know why, but Ive had battery drain at home on wifi when I was connected to my dlink access point. If Im connected directly to the verizon router, the drain goes away.

If you have multiple routers/access points, try connecting to a different one.

Another update. I am now testing with betterbatterystats & wakelock detector. A possible issue has to do with google play services and having the wifi location service on. I have not turned it off, but one suggestion was to use titanium backup to uninstall google play services... reboot the device and have the phone direct you to install GPS. Whether it did something or it was just a coincidence, a fresh install of the play services seemed to help greatly.

As of now, I have done all the above and Im charging my phone to monitor what it does from a full charge.

Upvote 0
I also can go for hours at night without any drain showing. This morning I took my phone off the charger around 5am, checked it at work around 7:30am and it was still at 100% and I had even used it a little.

Are you rooted? If you are, what have you done or installed on your phone?

I guess I should have started out by saying Im rooted and running cleanROM.

Upvote 0
Wifi off too? Are there any facts to prove that its better or worse to turn off wifi while its sleeping?

I think that makes sense. The LTE radio in new phones with QUALCOMM S4 or later Snapdragon chip are very efficient to the point of rivaling or beating WiFi battery drain. I don't have G2 yet (will get it soon), but my RHD with S4 chip is also very efficient with WiFi off overnight, losing only 1~2% over 7 hours.

It also depends on the connection quality of LTE vs WiFi. If you are in good LTE signal area, the phone will likely sleep better in LTE connection than WiFi.

Upvote 0
I think that makes sense. The LTE radio in new phones with QUALCOMM S4 or later Snapdragon chip are very efficient to the point of rivaling or beating WiFi battery drain. I don't have G2 yet (will get it soon), but my RHD with S4 chip is also very efficient with WiFi off overnight, losing only 1~2% over 7 hours.

It also depends on the connection quality of LTE vs WiFi. If you are in good LTE signal area, the phone will likely sleep better in LTE connection than WiFi.

I actually think the G2 gets better battery life with 4g than with wifi

Upvote 0
Boy, I'm going to have to inspect further. This is my first week w/ the G2 and love it. The battery life throughout the day has been amazing, but at night, it dropped 30% in 3 hours while I was sleeping. The biggest culprits for me were Android System & Google Services, so it's not so obvious to me what exactly was going on. So backwards it sips at day and drains at night. :) Even still, I'm at 37% after 24 hours and would still be happy with that.

Upvote 0
Guys, its just been a week that i got my g2.
On the first day, i unplugged at 12 am with a charge of 75%. The next day 7.30 am it was 73% with full time wifi on.
But now the battery drops around 8-10% overnight. The battery stats shows that screen takes around 20%, google services 15% and android system 14%.
I will be either connected to wifi or LTE all the time with sync turned on. I used to get 24 hrs in the first few days with moderate usage, now has dropped to 15-16 hrs including 8 hrs of sleep. Any solutions?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones