1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

What's your battery drain while sleeping through the night?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by strodda, Oct 3, 2013.

1. steamer86

steamer86 Well-Known Member

0-1% 8 hours @100% when rouge app our service doesn't pop. Under 95% about 2-3%. The first 5 is magical, the last 5 is doa.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. lpd50

lpd50 Newbie

Last week I had the same problem. Great battery life, then it started quickly dropping off. Went thru my apps and deleted the last one installed (can't remember which one) and my battery life went back to what I was enjoying. Most likely it's an app causing your battery drain...just gottoa figure which one.

3. Method760

Method760 Well-Known Member

When you guys are on WiFi do you guys turn off data?? i usually see 3-5% with Wifi and Data (LTE) on at the same time, some times less than that!

4. steamer86

I don't. Wifi, data, and GPS run 24/7 on my phone.

5. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Member

Same results overnight. About a 35% drain. Not awful, but not very good at all.

Thinking I should do a factory reset of the phone. I've read that's been helpful for some people.

I've only had the phone a few days so I haven't really installed a lot of apps, so it's tough to know which one might be the culprit, especially since they're all the same ones I had on my S3.

The one thing I've noticed: each morning the phone's SYNC icon was still in the taskbar. Could it be the phone is getting stuck syncing something?

6. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

The 35% seems pretty crazy. How often are you polling for new emails? Yeah, something might be messed up w.r.t. synching. Do you have WiFi or is it 3G or 4G at your location? I think synching over WiFi would be better than on 4G which would be better than on 3G.

Do you have good 4G service at your home? Possibly the radios are switching a lot between 4G/3G.

There might be some logging program you could enable to look for excessive activity by one or more applications.

An FDR might be a good thing to try next, but back up the contents of your SD card.

Jeph Ghost likes this.
  7. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Member

Thanks for the quick reply Stef! I use the Gmail app so it's just syncing (no polling time set). BTW, what's W.R.T. syncing?

I'm on WiFi all night and I get a solid 4G signal (rarely does it switch to 3G).

Do you have a recommendation for a logging app? Might be good thing to try, especially after I do a FDR.

8. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Member

Interesting:

So after some quick digging in the battery menu (Settings > Battery > Battery Icon > Battery Use Details).

And it seems that GALLERY (!!!) is the culprit, using 18% of my battery power. I must have some setting that's really draining. Going to dig a little deeper and stop it from doing so.

Anyone have any experience with the Gallery app draining battery??

9. steamer86

Carrier IQ if not on Verizon. Location reporting in Google settings will drain it like crazy as well. Wish Google would allow time set. Google picture sync and Picasa syncing to gallery.

10. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

W.r.t. with respect to.

Looks like you and steamer86 are on the case. Sorry, I cannot recommend a good logger as I've not had the need to use one luckily.

11. steamer86

Better battery stats. What's wrt?

12. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

WRT = With respect to. In regards to. On the issue of. When dealing with.........

Without setting up any battery saver or taking any other steps, i only lost 3% during the night. This figure is misleading, because i was using my phone for a few hours after charging and it didn't move off 100%. also last night i had my wifi turned off.

I think appropriate expectations for drainage when there is no screen on time or interaction or data use should be on the order of a few percent.

13. Jeph Ghost

Jeph Ghost Member

Much better results last night. Only lost about 8% (which IMO is very reasonable).

Are the stock stats in the battery menu under settings accurate? They seem so.

14. Dubbin1

Dubbin1 Android Expert

I get zero drain but it is also on the wireless charger all night.

15. stef7

stef7 Android Expert

Mine was on Wireless charger too, and once it hit 100%, I can see the battery voltage continued to increase for about 2hrs, then it started falling off slowly. In the next 4hours before getting up, the battery was still reporting 100%, but the terminal voltage was declining.

Battery monitor widget was reporting approx 19mA draw during this period (but mine also shows this during Qi charging... this could be the battery consumption when charging on Wireless, I don't know for sure how accurate that is). I take this to mean 19mAH in the average discharge rate with no interaction on my part. For a 3000mAH battery, that would theoretically and ideally turn out to be roughly a 6.5day slow discharge rate. Ha.

Anyway, with the WiFi radio and 4G radios on, the original poster shouldn't be seeing even 8% drain during the night IMHO....

steamer86 likes this.
  16. steamer86

Depends if CIQ and LG MLT want to have their way with your data, if you have location reporting on or off, Wi-Fi optimization and cell levels. Otherwise, the values seem normal in regards to "full" service drain on the high end. I have disabled MLT, location reporting, and have no CIQ. GPS, Data, Wi-Fi on at all times, always through sleep and optimization off. At 100% I rarely see even 1% drain. Under 95%, 2% average, ~7 hours.

17. Rally 517

Rally 517 Android Expert

I might lose 2% off 100% charge thru the night

LG G2 Forum

The LG G2 release date was September 2013. Features and Specs include a 5.2" inch screen, 13MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon 800 processor, and 3000mAh battery.

September 2013
Release Date
Reviews