• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Whats your beef with the X?

I use phonezoo.com for free ringtones on my A 2 as I don't have a X yet. Their tones are free and some are very LOUD! Listen to the Southern Railroad whistle for loudness.

Southern Southern Whistle ringtone - download this ringtone for free

No issues with this site--no spam emails, etc.

Rimgdroid and your own mp3s. GREATNESS!! My txt ringtone is the Power Ranger comm., my Alarm is a Air Raid Siren from WWII, and my Ringtone is The concept of love from JSRF.

Upvote 0
The case from VZW with the kickstand adds about 10 lbs to the phone. I'm definitely retuning it and looking for something else, perhaps the body glove?

I almost got the Body Glove.
Instead, I got the Soft Rubberized Belt Clip Holster.
(It is virtually coated in this soft stuff)
Great thing about it when you fasten the X in...It is very SECURE.
Even if you raise and lift off the clip that holds the top of the X,
the phone STILL won't come out.
Couldn't be happier.

Upvote 0
I too returned the Evo because Verizon coverage is better, but the Sense UI blows away this Moto crap. Tried ADW launcher with a theme but app drawer would disappear & I couldn't get it back. After uninstall the phone froze; after battery pull phone lagged for a minute then returned to normal. Playing with Launcher Pro. Biggest gripes are: Multitouch keyboard has no numbers combined with letters. Also no arrow keys to move the curser. The biggy tho is where's the copy and paste?? Pretty much non existent, where Evo had it everywhere. Much higher learning curve on the x. I actually don't mind the physical keys, tho. Kept accidentally hitting the touch keys on Evo. Being able to hit home key to turn on is sweet feature. Nicer feel to the phone.

Upvote 0
The camera button seems pretty cheap... it feels like it is only connected in the middle and not on the ends. Phone is really slow after booting up but fine after a few minutes. Other than that, as mentioned the short charger is my only other real complaint.

+1 on the camera button, I think a review mentioned it before (engadget?) but they were right. If you don't press it the right way it doesn't register, I press it at a slight angle towards the middle otherwise no picture taken. It's just a button, they could have done better.

One other beef: can't remove the verizon bloatware, I did not know it had to be rooted to remove bloatware, this is my first android phone. I do not need the blockbuster app or city id etc. would be nice to atleast get rid of the icon if it can't be deleted altogether, oh well it's not on any of the 7 home screens.

Overall though I am still blown away by the droid x, for those people on the fence don't let the minor gripes fool you. Amazing screen, processor, android is awesome, camera seems to be good (don't care that much). There are motorola widgets but they are useful, and most importantly not mandatory.

Upvote 0
I too returned the Evo because Verizon coverage is better, but the Sense UI blows away this Moto crap. Tried ADW launcher with a theme but app drawer would disappear & I couldn't get it back. After uninstall the phone froze; after battery pull phone lagged for a minute then returned to normal. Playing with Launcher Pro. Biggest gripes are: Multitouch keyboard has no numbers combined with letters. Also no arrow keys to move the curser. The biggy tho is where's the copy and paste?? Pretty much non existent, where Evo had it everywhere. Much higher learning curve on the x. I actually don't mind the physical keys, tho. Kept accidentally hitting the touch keys on Evo. Being able to hit home key to turn on is sweet feature. Nicer feel to the phone.

The reason you don't see numbers incorporated on the letter keys as alternate presses IS to allow the multi-touch in the M.T. keyboard.
Should you want the alternate presses incorporated on the letter keys, there are many keyboards that are available.
That feature is in Swype, also on the Droid X. Swype can be used just like a regular touchscreen keyboard. You don't have to draw or" swype" to type.
;)
There IS copy & paste in the Droid X Android Web Browser. Its easy to do if one understands how it is pulled off. There should be something on youtube demonstrating copy & paste in the X's browser.

Upvote 0
+1 on the camera button, I think a review mentioned it before (engadget?) but they were right. If you don't press it the right way it doesn't register, I press it at a slight angle towards the middle otherwise no picture taken. It's just a button, they could have done better.
i think that was theyre actual design. the 2 stage red button, halfway down sets up the lens and all the way down snaps the pic.

Upvote 0
There IS copy & paste in the Droid X Android Web Browser. Its easy to do if one understands how it is pulled off. There should be something on youtube demonstrating copy & paste in the X's browser.
Thx, I'll have to look; all I've seen so far is select all or cut all. I do know that maybe cuz I'm left handed, the red bullseye is harder for me to use. Seems the magnifier is behind my finger.

Upvote 0
I have the same problem did you figure out a solution in terms of the home launcher. It is really bothering me.

Yes I did a factory reset wiped my SD card and downloaded my apps all over again (I had tried to copy and reinstall from old SD). That helped a ton but then I loaded ADW launcher and it is super smooth now. I may try LaunchPro but want to learn and setup ADW first.

Upvote 0
Here's one
What makes the button light turn on? When I pick it up shouldn't they activate. In a dark room you can't see them until I hit the power button to wake it up. I could hit the home but can't see it in the dark. I have yet to figure put what activated them to turn on but moving it should be one.

Upvote 0

They app drawer disappearring is a feature. It is activated by swyping up to hide it and again to make it reappear. you probably did an up swipe by accident and hide it. You can turn it off or assign a different action to that swipe if you want.

Upvote 0
They app drawer disappearring is a feature. It is activated by swyping up to hide it and again to make it reappear. you probably did an up swipe by accident and hide it. You can turn it off or assign a different action to that swipe if you want.
Right. I did that but the 2nd up swipe would not bring it back. So I tried assigning up swipe to something else & it disappeared o me again. oh well

Upvote 0
Right. I did that but the 2nd up swipe would not bring it back. So I tried assigning up swipe to something else & it disappeared o me again. oh well

Its working great for me I wonder why it isn't for you. I'm going to give Launchpro a try also.

I do like how you can add to that little dock that shows up in ADW when you do the swipe that makes the app draw disappear. You can put about 6 or 7 of the most used on it and they follow you no matter what screen and it save screen space.

I get the feeling I'm probably missing features in both of the launcher LP and ADW are there some instructions somewhere?

Upvote 0
I just stopped by the VZW store to play around with the display model since my online order was never shipped. I'm going to cancel my order and stick with the Incredible. I HATED the physical buttons, no text wrap around when booming in the browser, and the biggest thing was how quiet the speaker/ringtones were. I love the Inc, but hate the battery life. I guess I'm willing to deal with it.

What did you not love about the X?

I'm not sure what "booming in the Browser" means but if your talking about it resizing the text and re flowing it to fit when you zoom in you have to double tap it after you zoom in and it will reflow the text to fit.

So pinch to zoom then double tap the screen.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what "booming in the Browser" means but if your talking about it resizing the text and re flowing it to fit when you zoom in you have to double tap it after you zoom in and it will reflow the text to fit.

So pinch to zoom then double tap the screen.

Wow! Awesome! Thanks! The zooming is prefect now!

I'm not thrilled with the speaker, how you can't disable the double tap shortcut (messes with quick desk), and not being able to disable camera sounds (root should fix it).

Also the small text rendering isn't the best, but rumor has it the next update will fix it. These are just nitpicks though, this phone is fantastic, and a HUGE step up from the droid and incredible.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones