• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's Your Favorite Thing About The Nexus S 4G?

Do you own a Samsung phone? Because I do, and I also post in the Epic forum, and the GPS issue was blown out of proportion, IMO. Mine has never had the first issue. Lots of others report the same.

For me, the biggest drawback with Samsung is its lack of updates. They just want you to buy their phone. They don't care about you after that. Hell, we just got Froyo last month.

:O fancy seeing you here ;P

Upvote 0
Do you own a Samsung phone? Because I do, and I also post in the Epic forum, and the GPS issue was blown out of proportion, IMO. Mine has never had the first issue. Lots of others report the same.

For me, the biggest drawback with Samsung is its lack of updates. They just want you to buy their phone. They don't care about you after that. Hell, we just got Froyo last month.

I totally agree. I have an Epic 4G and it is awesome. I had no issues with it. People either never actually owned a Samsung phone or had one little issue that they probably had with the phone they replaced it with as well or even the next one and exaggerated it x10 about Sammy. Sammy is honestly the best of not one of them when it comes to quality phones. I mean Apple gets their hardware from them.

Anyways, the US updates are slow but not the UK. They just need to work CLOSER WITH THE US. I don't think it's so much they're not updating it's how the US goes about it and working with us.

Upvote 0
If it weren't for the lack of a MicroSD slot, I'd be on this like white on rice. I haven't decided if I can do without it. 16GB without a MicroSD slot?! Who knows what they were thinking.

I like to keep my music on my device, and 16GB ain't cuttin' it.

i dont see why internal storage is such a huge deal.. ipods have done it for years yet im willing to bet most everyone here has owned one at some point or another

Upvote 0
If it weren't for the lack of a MicroSD slot, I'd be on this like white on rice. I haven't decided if I can do without it. 16GB without a MicroSD slot?! Who knows what they were thinking.

I like to keep my music on my device, and 16GB ain't cuttin' it.

Check out Subsonic. It might change your life.

Upvote 0
its a big step up from the evo, the cpu on the samsung galaxy s line is very much improved compared to the first gen snapdragons, in terms of speed, power and battery life. the gpu is insanely faster, to put it in perspective, the ipad 2 has the sgx543 and is the top mobile device in terms of graphics power. the nexus/epic etc has the sgx540 which on glbenchmarks lists 4 spots down from the ipad 2

the new dual core snapdragons have been benchmarked they get an impressive 11 frames per second more.. sounds like a huge boost but seriously? this is coming off a 1.5gz dual core, compared to a single core 1ghz. the dual core samsung orion is the next step and that blows teh charts out of the water. one thing you may notice is the smaller dev community from the evo.. which honestly i dont see as a bad thing, how many of the evo's "roms" are nothing more then a re theme of cyanogenmod or sense?

Reactions: Gmash
Upvote 0
i dont see why internal storage is such a huge deal.. ipods have done it for years yet im willing to bet most everyone here has owned one at some point or another
Huh? This comment doesn't compute. iPods have mucho internal storage space.

Streaming solutions like Amazon's cloud player require a data connection - a streaming solution isn't much of a solution for me.

I need to decide whether I can live with only half of my music on my phone, or carrying around a separate iPod. Multiple devices FTMFL.

Upvote 0
Huh? This comment doesn't compute. iPods have mucho internal storage space.

Streaming solutions like Amazon's cloud player require a data connection - a streaming solution isn't much of a solution for me.

I need to decide whether I can live with only half of my music on my phone, or carrying around a separate iPod. Multiple devices FTMFL.

actually it makes perfect sense.. as only the ipod classics have mucho storage.. an ipod nano can come with a 16gb storage.. and even then ipods of yesteryear were much smaller in terms of capacity.. i dont get why everyone thinks that 16gb is a horrible amount of space.. i cannot honestly think of 12gbs of songs id like to listen to in a days time.. with things like amazon music, google music pandora, i heart radio.. there is still lots of options for music without having your entire collection on your phone. honestly if its that much of a deal breaker for you sounds like you need to get a phone that can handle huge micro sd cards..

Upvote 0
You're planning on running your phone without data?

Not at all, but having to rely on a (by nature) not-always-reliable data connection to stream my music isn't kosher to me. I loose my Pandora signal regularly while driving through the hills (Los Angeles). I spend my days on set / on sound stages without cell reception.

I need my music, and as cell reception isn't a 100% sure thing, streaming just isn't a reliable option. Not to mention streaming quality will not be as high as locally hosted files. Also Penguin, it's not convenient to constantly shift around what music to keep on the phone. I have a 32gb microsd card in my blackberry which is big enough to hold a decent selection of tunes when I don't have data access to Pandora et al.

Upvote 0
Not at all, but having to rely on a (by nature) not-always-reliable data connection to stream my music isn't kosher to me. I loose my Pandora signal regularly while driving through the hills (Los Angeles). I spend my days on set / on sound stages without cell reception.

I need my music, and as cell reception isn't a 100% sure thing, streaming just isn't a reliable option. Not to mention streaming quality will not be as high as locally hosted files. Also Penguin, it's not convenient to constantly shift around what music to keep on the phone. I have a 32gb microsd card in my blackberry which is big enough to hold a decent selection of tunes when I don't have data access to Pandora et al.

no i agree having to "cycle" thru music would be more aggravating then its worth

Upvote 0
actually it makes perfect sense.. as only the ipod classics have mucho storage.. an ipod nano can come with a 16gb storage.. and even then ipods of yesteryear were much smaller in terms of capacity.. i dont get why everyone thinks that 16gb is a horrible amount of space.. i cannot honestly think of 12gbs of songs id like to listen to in a days time.. with things like amazon music, google music pandora, i heart radio.. there is still lots of options for music without having your entire collection on your phone. honestly if its that much of a deal breaker for you sounds like you need to get a phone that can handle huge micro sd cards..

My issue is 2 fold. First, yes they make 2-4gb shuffle's and 8gb nanos, and 80 gb classics, but the thing is you can choose which one you want for the amount of music, files, photos, etc you have. The phone is only one option...16gb. So ya I could only put 10 gb of music on there but what if I want lots of apps, or what have you, is just the thought of running out of space and having no solution for it.

Second, why didnt they just put expandable memory in the damn thing!? Its not like the technology isnt there, so just do it. Hell, make 2 versions, one with 16gb and one with expandable that way you can choose and Google can make more money. Win-win.

Upvote 0
But nobody would choose the non upgradeable, so there's no need for two options. Just do it right the first time. ;)

Out of curiosity, how large is an average movie file?

DVD rips are usually about 700MB

actually apps are stored on internal storage not the /sdcard partition, by default apps get tossed in /data/app.. sure its the same amount of space overall, but its space you cant put music/pics etc so you always "lost" that space in terms of overall "how much crap can i fit on here space". as google just bumped it up so apps can take up a whole 50mb at a max.. im not seeing that as a huge issue..

as for media no doubt. i agree that it shouldnt have been no way to expand it.. but whats done is done if thats the deciding factor for you then get a phone that can do it. or resign to carry multiple devices. sucks yes, but honestly theres nothing we can do about it now..

Upvote 0
But nobody would choose the non upgradeable, so there's no need for two options. Just do it right the first time. ;)

Out of curiosity, how large is an average movie file?

I disagree. Thats like saying no one will buy the 60 or 80gb PS3 instead of the 120 or 320gb version. Or that no one will buy a 60hz HDTV over the 120 or 240hz versions. I can tell you, plenty of people have bought the lower end stuff. There will always be someone who likes the phone and doesnt plan to put music on it, so its perfect for them. Then there are those who want all the storage possible. They would sell both easily.

But thats neither here nor there, the phone doesnt offer it so no reason debating on "what ifs".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones