• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

what's your next tablet?

excav8ter

Android Enthusiast
Mar 14, 2010
So I have had my Iconia for nearly a year now,and I am getting the itch to get something new. I have the ICS update and it works great....kinda makes it feel like a whole new tablet. But I still long for something new. Is the A200 much different than the A500? I like the "ring" feature on the A200, but I am hoping for something new and game changing to come out. Does anyone see anything on the horizon? I am ultimately hoping that in a year or so I will not need a laptop or PC around anymore.

I really love my tablet(s) and I'm looking forward to upgrade when the new Tegra3 devices come out. The tablet form factor, with touch screen is absolutely brilliant!.
BUT
the one area that Android falls down is with office apps. There is nothing that currently can match MS Office or even Open Office on Android, so I'll be keeping my laptops and netbook for a while.
Yes I have tried ...(insert your favorite office app here)... but headers & footers, watermarks, stylesheets, table of contents, indexes, mail merge, macros, conditional formatting - nope, you are lucky if they even display them correctly, never mind creating them.

The A200 has some advantages like the Acer ring and a nice, grippy back but no rear facing camera and no HDMI out otherwise it is the same as A500

Upvote 0
I really love my tablet(s) and I'm looking forward to upgrade when the new Tegra3 devices come out. The tablet form factor, with touch screen is absolutely brilliant!.
BUT
the one area that Android falls down is with office apps. There is nothing that currently can match MS Office or even Open Office on Android, so I'll be keeping my laptops and netbook for a while.
Yes I have tried ...(insert your favorite office app here)... but headers & footers, watermarks, stylesheets, table of contents, indexes, mail merge, macros, conditional formatting - nope, you are lucky if they even display them correctly, never mind creating them.

The A200 has some advantages like the Acer ring and a nice, grippy back but no rear facing camera and no HDMI out otherwise it is the same as A500

I like my A500 especially with the ICS upgrade. But I also find the lack of a good office suite a problem, which is why I am seriously looking at a win 8 tab as my next buy.

Upvote 0
BUT

I guess I should have mentioned that I don't use any office suite type of programs. I basically need to compose emails and get into my quickbooks. With my job, my computer needs are pretty simple.

I bought office suite pro (?) For my 12 year old to do school work on for her AP classes. She switches back and for from the laptop to her Toshiba thrive, and loves it......but she's 12 :) . I would imagine that those types of applications will be forth coming.

Upvote 0
I am much more comfortable with the 7" form factor so Im thinking my next tablet will be the asus memo 370t or the nexus tablet. Quad core, ics and 7" for 250 or less is a steal. Also theyre talking about an ipad mini. I had the original ipad a long time ago... Was acctually my first tablet and it wasnt so bad. If youre looking for a good 10" tegra 3 tablet though for a decent price, u may want to check out the asus transformer pad 300. Its only 399 can prob find it for less and got excelent reviews. Im writing this on my Samsung GalaxyTab 7.0 plus and i also use the a500 which i just got ics on. So my next tablet should probably be the nexus or ipad mini but if win 8 tablets grab my attention... You never know. Got win8 preview on my laptop now and its pretty sweet.

Reactions: excav8ter
Upvote 0
For three years ive stayed away from apple i did not like their policy.

Our way or no way.

And certanly did not like Steve Jobs.
Ive been with android from the beginning both with phones and tablets.
But their was certain apps that i needed that just wont becoming to the android market and those that have dont come anyway near what i needed.

And their was only one place that had those apps and that was Apple.

So today with heavy heart i bought the new ipad 3.
And although ive only had it a few hours it did not take long to see why its the number one best seller.

Its simple the screen is stunning and it just works.

Upvote 0
For three years ive stayed away from apple i did not like their policy.

Our way or no way.

And certanly did not like Steve Jobs.
Ive been with android from the beginning both with phones and tablets.
But their was certain apps that i needed that just wont becoming to the android market and those that have dont come anyway near what i needed.

And their was only one place that had those apps and that was Apple.

So today with heavy heart i bought the new ipad 3.
And although ive only had it a few hours it did not take long to see why its the number one best seller.

Its simple the screen is stunning and it just works.

If you like it, then you bought the right tablet for you. :thumbup:

Upvote 0
My A500 was my second Android tablet, and I sold it on Craigslist over the weekend. I enjoyed the thing while I had it, but the ICS upgrade didn't do much for me, and overall the OS still feels a little unintuitive and awkward to me.

At this point I'm looking at the iPad, as well. The hardware quality is great, and while iOS is much less customizable than ICS, it's powerful and efficient and fluid. And while the selection of Android phone apps is almost on a par with iOS, the depth of selection in Android tablet apps just isn't there yet. Ultimately, that's the biggest problem -- and its something that won't change until the sales of Android tablets pick up considerably. I'm not sure that's going to happen in the short term, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it all.

Upvote 0
I bought an ipad2 because garage band blew me away. There's nothing to compare with that on Android. And generally ipad apps are slicker, which is a natural consequence of google's open development policy; anyone can put an app on google play.
BUT
I much prefer my Android tabs. When I go back to using the ipad the screen seems too small. And my earlier post about office apps applies to ipad. Pages for ipad is missing a lot of the features of the desktop version.

Upvote 0
I'm currently using an ipad2 for my work I'm using this a lot every day we have worktrac on it and I do all my invoicing on it. I like a lot about it but I have never been a fan of there closed system. Not many options to tweak. So the only way I would get an ipad is if I could jailbreak it.I have ics on my Acer also and its not he OTA version. The Rom I'm running has the acer ring and all the goodies. I'm never going to get rid of it but I may give it to my wife or daughter if I ever decide to get something else.

Upvote 0
next tab... well a Android tab for sure, but certainly not a acer... will keep aneye out for Tegra 3 or might wait for next gen (ie: 3d tablet, if they ever come out)

Why not another Acer? I'm just curious.....I don't have a clue what is coming. I'd hope something new comes out this summer, I just have the itch to get a new tablet. :D

Upvote 0
Acer and a few others don't have the accessories to charge. You can get a car charger in the EU, but not in the US. There is also no extended type battery.
Lenovo, Dell, Sony Samsung, Ipad charge via USB.

If you have a long flight or long drive, you may have a problem. The A100 might do 4 hours using all programs, more time if using as ereader or listening to music.

Otherwise they are nice tablets.

Upvote 0
Acer and a few others don't have the accessories to charge. You can get a car charger in the EU, but not in the US. There is also no extended type battery.
Lenovo, Dell, Sony Samsung, Ipad charge via USB.

If you have a long flight or long drive, you may have a problem. The A100 might do 4 hours using all programs, more time if using as ereader or listening to music.

Otherwise they are nice tablets.

I use a 12v inverter in my truck while we are traveling. You can charge via USB or the standard wall plug in charger. The 12v inverter fits in a cup holder and works well.

Upvote 0
theres too much i-mention for me to stay in this thread
FOOOOOOORRRRSHAAAAAAAAMME!! LOL

i already have my next tab....still the a500, im just waiting for the next i-device so i can take micky out of that too :D

I will probably stay with my A500 for a while too. I have not seen anything really eye catching*so far. Perhaps this summer something big will be revealed.

Upvote 0
Ive been with Android from when it first came out.
Started with phones then tablets.
I got the Galaxy S2 last week and im well happy.

As for the tablet ive been using the Acer A500 but the latest upgrade to ICS was the final straw so many problems and when i spoke to Acer they told me they about most of the problems and hope to have them sorted with another upgrade.

Why did a company like Acer release ICS with known problems?

Although ive always liked the ipad i did not like apples atitude of our way or the highway.

But the way Android spoke to me gave me the impresstion they were not that bothered.

So im off on saturday to get the new ipad 3.
And Acer will get no more cash from me.

Upvote 0

As for the tablet ive been using the Acer A500 but the latest upgrade to ICS was the final straw so many problems and when i spoke to Acer they told me they about most of the problems and hope to have them sorted with another upgrade.

Although ive always liked the ipad i did not like apples atitude of our way or the highway.

But the way Android spoke to me gave me the impresstion they were not that bothered.

I had a couple issues with ICS when i first upgraded, but after a reset, all is well. I would check out another ICS enabled device before giving up on Android.

Upvote 0

Why did Microsoft release Windows 98 with known problems or Windows ME or Windows XP? How many problems did each of these have and how long would it have taken to fix all of them?

My Acer updated to ICS with no problems and did so for free. Upgrading anything Microsoft always cost money and they didn't seem bothered to charge you for that either.

Go ahead and get your Ipad, pay the Apple tax and then complain about it....somewhere else.:eek:

Reactions: apple2005
Upvote 0
In my experience too, the ICS upgrade was smooth and without any problems and I do feel that ICS has breathed a new life into my A500. But the question stands - what's the next tablet?

Co-incidentally, I was discussing this with someone last evening. Since I am very gmail-focused, Android makes sense and in most things, Android works - on the tablet and the phone. The only glaring lacking that I find is in using an Office Suite. Google Docs is just not good enough. I have tried most of the available Office Suite alternative on Android and they leave much to be desired from.

Then there is one other thing I have noticed as I have used my A500 over the months. While I wanted the 10" version (at that time the 7" version was not available and even if it was, I would probably not have chosen it), I am not very fond of how the screen is oriented. Thus, for example, to read a PDF file, I find that to avoid scrolling, it is better to use the tab in portrait mode. But if I do so (1) the tab immediately becomes unwieldy - the tab is more natural to handle in landscape mode; and (2) I have to constantly zoom in to get the text to be more legible. This problem is more acute in landscape mode.

This got me thinking perhaps a different sized and oriented screen would probably be better for reading e-books/ pdf etc. I have tried both the original Kindle and the new one and no they are not good enough. I suspect that the iPad's display (simply because of its size and the way it is optimized based on what I have seen in stores etc.) is better suited to address the two points I mentioned above - but I really don't know because I have not handled an iPad for long enough. If some of you have, please do share your observations. But I am not sure an Apple product is the way I would go.

I would like my next tab to address these points in particular - (1) availability of an Office suite which works well with MS Office (2) work on the screen and how e-texts are handled/ presented.

Cheers!

Reactions: excav8ter
Upvote 0
I will be honest, while Android phones are the only way to go for me, I am still not sold on excluding Apple "pads" from my choice. Especially with young children, the iPad support is still tops for that type of stuff. If I were to buy a tablet in the near future, it would probably be an iPad.

However I am happy with my Acer, and ICS added some long awaited features which greatly improve it IMO. I like that Acer has a very unobtrusive skin, its actually more like a few apps worth of bloat than a skin.

Upvote 0
Why not another Acer? I'm just curious.....I don't have a clue what is coming. I'd hope something new comes out this summer, I just have the itch to get a new tablet. :D

well when i saw the a700 specs, i changed my mind... Tegra 3 quadcore cpu, "3d display - from what i heard"

Still, i don't like how acer didn't released ICS for the a501 yet... i'll wait and see if they ever do, then might consider keep this a501... right now bound by a 2 years data plan, and already tired of the customer services from my provider... they sell something and then a couple of months later, they almost deny having sold them...

Upvote 0
My next tablet is...the A500! It's arriving tomorrow; can't wait! I've got an iPad 1 right now and it's just, just, so....Apple! Not a fan. It's a hand-me-down from my wife when she got her iPad 2 last Christmas and it gets the job done, but after running Android phones for a couple years and being a tinkerer, I can't stand being so locked down and I'm so sick of nothing but icons on the home screen!

I saw a link on a CNet article for factory refurb 8GB A500 on eBay for $199 shipped and couldn't pass it up. I was considering waiting for a Google tablet or going with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for $249, but with the big screen of the A500, not to mention USB, MicroSD, and everything else....it's (hopefully) everything I want a tablet to be. The thickness and weight isn't a concern for my usage.

Bring on the Ugly Brown Truck!

Upvote 0
My next tablet is...the A500! It's arriving tomorrow; can't wait! I've got an iPad 1 right now and it's just, just, so....Apple! Not a fan. It's a hand-me-down from my wife when she got her iPad 2 last Christmas and it gets the job done, but after running Android phones for a couple years and being a tinkerer, I can't stand being so locked down and I'm so sick of nothing but icons on the home screen!

I saw a link on a CNet article for factory refurb 8GB A500 on eBay for $199 shipped and couldn't pass it up. I was considering waiting for a Google tablet or going with a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 for $249, but with the big screen of the A500, not to mention USB, MicroSD, and everything else....it's (hopefully) everything I want a tablet to be. The thickness and weight isn't a concern for my usage.

Bring on the Ugly Brown Truck!

Welcome to the A500 family! I have never regretted mine. I do wish it was lighter, but the curves on the edges make it very comfortable in the hand IMO.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones