1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General What's Your Second Choice??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by esmort, Jan 14, 2012.

1. esmort

esmort Newbie
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    Chicago
    I just received my Prime from BB and it seems to have light leakage problems. If I have any of the other problems that some seem to have and end up returning it due to light leakage issues I may go a different direction.

I was just curious if you currently own the Prime what would be your second choice (or your first choice if you would choose something different if you had it to do over) and why? For those who have taken back the Prime and gotten a different tablet what did you choose and why?

Advertisement

2. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    Considering its the first quad core tablet out, there isn't another tablet to compare it to. I originally looked at the Galaxy tab but I'm not a fan of Samsung products, especially phones. So when preorders came out for the Prime, I jumped on it:)

3. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    Where is your light leak most dominant when held in landscape mode ?
    If the WiFi range and GPS will not bother you I would try exchanging and getting one without bleed.

If I get another tablet now it will be an iPad 2. With the exception of games optimized for Quad Core, I find the iPad 2 to be smoother over all. I will likely wait to see how the new Prime does or the next iPad. The only definite is I will not be on the pre order list for another Asus tablet and be part of the Asus Beta Testers Team.

4. sleightofhand

sleightofhand Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    I don't have any of the problems with wifi and bt. Have a very small amount of light bleed but this is an led back lit display so its normal to have some. If it affects your viewing take it back, if you only see it at loading then don't worry about it. My serial number starts with bc so i guess i got lucky and got the good batch.

If i got something else it would be the new ultra book idea pad coming out. It has a hinge that makes it fold flat into a tablet. Other then that nothing.

5. andygu3

andygu3 Android Expert
    None

May 24, 2010
    Lewis Center, OH
    I'll be glad to beta test, that's the only way to move technology forward. But I guess that's why people like Apple because "it just works" but coming from a rom flashoholic, I'd rather help in the development of something great.

6. tmaxey1

tmaxey1 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    If you think the prime isn't for you and want a different tablet now then your choices aren't great. Samsungs galaxy tab looks nice but seems so laggy. Everytime I play around with one it has so many freezes and force closes. Maybe its just because its a retail model that gets abused.

The ipad 2 is very smooth and has the best app selection by far. However it seems the ipad 3 will be the quad core with the much higher Res screen. But its looking like March will be the earliest it will be out.

Overall I would agree that the prime is the best currently out. That or wait for ipad 3. Patience is tough. But so is buyers remorse.

7. rz22g

rz22g Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 2, 2011
    I hope your talking about an actual beta tester who is either compensated or gets the product for free. If you truly like paying Asus $500 plus to beta test then your just the consumer they are looking for :) It does help in the development of money to their account ;) . It also helps in developing the companies view of the consumer as not only a free beta tester but a paying one.

8. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Retired
    American Expat now living in Thailand
    I'm not finding anything out there that 'hits home' with me like the Prime does.
    So, I'm sticking with the Transformer concept but I don't have to have a Transformer immediately. I'm waiting for the TF700T.
    The Ipad is nice, and yes it's smooth, but it's not android and it doesn't come with the Transformer concept type of keyboard. I want expandability with my keyboard.
    The TF700T hits all the right buttons for me,.....and I can wait for one.

9. LateNiteMike

LateNiteMike Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 24, 2010
    Retired
    American Expat now living in Thailand
    Well,.....I was planning to wait for the TF700T. (See previous posting)

Now, the latest news is that the damn thing won't be out until sometime after JUNE of this year! :eek: The first deliveries will be in the UK. So, if that's the case....I probably won't be able to get my hands on one....until months later. That sucks. That really sucks. :mad:

So, with having to wait another 7-8 months to get one...I'm back to thinking that perhaps I should just go ahead and get the 'Prime'.
    Especially after hearing that Asus is currently sending out some kind of 'fix' for the GPS and Camera issues that have been noted by some owner/users.

This whole thing has me a bit pissed. I mean, I started looking at Tablets, discovered the 'Transformer', liked it, found out about the newer 'Prime', loved it, was waiting patiently for it to be available, then heard about the TF700T and went GaGa over it,.....then read that it's 7-8 months away. :mad:
    I'm way beyond disappointed ! I'm pretty ticked off.

I still think ( along with many others) that Asus 'Transformers' are the best thing going, so maybe after I settle down a bit I'll probably go ahead and get the 'Prime'. I'm trying not to be upset with Asus over the way all this came down.....but it's hard...it's really hard not to.

10. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    Not sure if you know, but those things are STARTING at $1200....just sayin'....

11. sleightofhand

sleightofhand Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    They were saying 999 to 1200 at ces. So if you figure its 128gb it would cost me about 599 for the transfomer 64gb and then 150 for the dock. 749 plus another 100 bucks for some more memory. 849 is looking like alot compared to fully functional windows 8 ultra book/ tablet.

12. flyjbaker

flyjbaker Android Expert
    None

Oct 17, 2009
    I like your rationalization!!! I don't remember where I read that price but I don't think they were guessing. It seemed like they knew what they were talking about. I, too, thought it was a cool idea...and not really totally original as Asus had a net book with a swiveling touchscreen...not nearly as powerful.

13. sleightofhand

sleightofhand Newbie
    None

Apr 23, 2010
    Yeah you might be right. I just saw the twit interview with the lenova rep at ces. I think the reason it stuck in my head was it had a really nice hd screen was called yoga and i was stuck in downward dog. First i had seen windows 8 in action too. So i guess i should compare the transformer 700 to it instead of my old prime.

14. kronie

kronie Member
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    I am in the exact same boat as you. I have been waiting for the original transformer prime for what seems like months. Then the "700" series comes out and I was going to wait for that but recently heard rumblings of June/July for a release date.....

.....honestly I dont care that much about the higher resolution for this tablet and until i get my own and test it I wont know if it has WIFI issues or not....GPS? not high on my list of priorities...

15. golfernut78

golfernut78 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 28, 2011
    compaq or gateway had this back in 07. a drafting servie we used showed this to us for redlining construction drawings. dell also offers this on a lattitude, but i think it's only a 14.1" screen.