• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

What's your tablet?

Thatoe

Aug 24, 2010
I'm thinking about getting a tablet because I travel a lot and need a bigger screen.
For now, ASUS Transformer fits all my need and the price is really good but with the rumours of Transformer 2 being released very soon, I don't want to miss out on that.
I know people will say if you wait for the next big thing, you'll end up waiting forever.
So, i'm thinking about buying one now and sell when the Transformers 2 is out.
Which of these do you think has the best resale value?
ASUS Transformer, Galaxy 10.1, Iconia A500
I know iPads are the best for resale but since they ship with 4.3.5 now, I don't want to end up with a closed system for a month or two or maybe until 2012.

I have the ASUS Transformer and the Nook Color (rooted). I am one happy camper.

If you're buying today, would you buy the transformer or wait for the successor?
It's very likely that it won't keep its $399 price tag though.

Another thing is, I don't need the keyboard/dock of the transformer. I just need a tablet.
So would you recommend the galaxy 10.1 or transformer?
I see transformer is still better because of the SD card slot where I can put movies on.

Upvote 0
Transformer here. Had it about 3 weeks and LOVE IT! Yes the Quad Core Tegra 3 Kal-El TF2 is due out within months. That gave me a little buyers remorse, but I got over it. Yes, Kal-El looks SWEET!

The TF feels good in the hands. I played with a Xoom in the stores and it just felt heavy. I got wrist cramps after a few minutes. I don't get that with my TF. Maybe the weight is just balanced better.

TF battery life is about 10% per hour of use, so 10 hours of use. Standby is about 1 to 2% per hour, which seems high to me, so I usually shut it down if I know I'm gonna leave it alone for a while.

The TF is a fingerprint MAGNET! I'm constantly wiping the screen with a micro cloth. And I'm not a neat freak. I rarely wipe my DX screen, but I HAVE TOO wipe the TF.

One other thing I don't like about the TF is the auto brightness is too dark. If it was bumped up a notch or two on it'd be fine. I still use it, but sometimes turn it off to see that bright beautiful screen.

I haven't rooted the TF cause I don't see a need to. The Honeycomb 3.2 OS is perfect and the TF has built in screen capture w/o root.

My mom has an iPad2. It's nice, but it's not Android (widgets, true multitasking, hackable, etc).

Upvote 0
I am an early adopter of the Xoom. I like it...other then the screen quality. Could be a bit better in color display. The Honeycomb 3.2 update really made this a great device. I have accessoried my Xoom with the BT keyboard and the standard dock. The keyboard I do have some buyers remorse over. I don't use it as much I would like to,

Upvote 0
If you're buying today, would you buy the transformer or wait for the successor?
It's very likely that it won't keep its $399 price tag though.

Another thing is, I don't need the keyboard/dock of the transformer. I just need a tablet.
So would you recommend the galaxy 10.1 or transformer?
I see transformer is still better because of the SD card slot where I can put movies on.

Imo the galaxy tab and the asus are the best android tablets, therefore the best tablets :). You should try them out at a store to see which one is better. If I were in your position I would try to survive on phone only or laptop+phone if you have that until the transformer 2. Even if you don't need the quad core at that point, prices should drop on the dual cores (either officially or stores should be more aggressive with sales)

Upvote 0
My tablet is a relic I had when in grade school (5th Grade) back in 1950. It has a soft black surface covered by a thin film of polymer that is attached at the top. I use a pencil sized stylus to enter my data, and corrections and erasures are handled by lifting the polymer from the bottom to the top, then I start over.

Not as fancy as the iPad, etc, but a hell of a lot cheaper.:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I've got an iPad2 and a rooted Nook Color. The iPad is great for music but I just hate the closed system. The Nook Color is a bit of a disappointment because it runs a bit slow and I find the touchscreen sensitivity to be low. It's a reader, what did I expect?

I'm looking at the Asus Transformer because I really want a physical keyboard (and Android) but I'm waiting for the next generation to come out. I heard rumor it's quad-core and will be out before the end of the year.

I'm curious about the upcoming Amazon Tablet but am afraid they skinned it so thoroughly, it will lose touch with Android. I also don't like the idea of only having access to Amazon's App Store. Feels too Apple-ish for my tastes.

Upvote 0
I started with the original Galaxy tab. Bought a Vzw xoom but took it back because I liked the 7 inch format better for traveling. However, 3 months later I needed a little more power and got a sweet deal on another vzw xoom. I tried quite a few of the other ones and while I liked the polished feel of the 10 inch galaxy, I liked the Bluetooth keyboard case Verizon had for the xoom and the others just felt too plasticky. Still waiting on the LTE upgrade though...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones