• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WhatsApp blurred photos on new phone

On my new phone (identical to the old one, Moto Z² Force Edition, Oreo 8.0.0), I restored my WhatsApp backup. It successfully restored all my chats, complete with embedded pics and videos.

However, some of the older pics display blurred; they have a button with an arrow and a very small size, like 200 or 500Kb. Pressing the button yields an error message that 'download failed,' the media file appears to be missing, and ask the sender to resend it.

xScreenshot_20190531.jpg

BUT! The media files exist, in the correct WA subdirectory. They're full size there.

It's like an index or database needs to be rebuilt or something.

Any ideas?

ohhhh...impossible to recover photos if the downloading failed messge are showing continuously,its shows that photos is not avilable in whatsapp database. server.o_Oo_Oo_O:saddroid::saddroid::saddroid:
Thanks, but I'm not so sure. :)

Say I have a group of 4 photos, all in one chat. Two will be blurred and two normal. Or in another chat, with 6 photos, 4 are normal, 2 blurred.

As noted above, ALL of the photos are present, at original size, in the correct subdirectory. Because I actually have the originals, this problem is a minor annoyance, not a catastrophe! :D

Upvote 0
just curious on how you saved it and then retrieved it?
I had WA set to back up to Google Drive, including all media. During the transfer/setup process, I was prompted if I wanted to restore its backup, and I did.

Afterward, I did a side-by-side comparison (old and new phones) of WA's directories, to make sure all the media files had made their way over. I wanted to make sure I didn't lose any of the full-size pics/videos.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones