• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WhatsApp - Files named incorrectly/wrong date (Exif)?

M

Maja199

Hello everyone,
so recently I wanted to copy some images from my phone (WhatsApp) to my computer.
The problem is that in the gallery of my phone (Galaxy S5) they're named correctly and in the right order, but when I save them on my computer they're in the wrong order and have a wrong description.

For example, a picture I've shot weeks ago with my phone is defined as the newest picture on my computer.

I've finally found out that these images have no Exif-file and as a result they have no recording date.
So it seems logical to me that these pictures are in the wrong order.

But why did this happen? It's not the first time I copy images from my phone. And is there any possibility to get these Exif-files back?

WhatsApp strips the EXIF data from images AFAIK. Presumably for privacy reasons, because of things like precise GPS location data that might be contained in the EXIF. I think most IM services do the same when images are transferred from one user to another. AF on Xenforo also removes any EXIF data from image attachments in posts

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones