• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WhatsApp is installed but won't open messages

AlecF

Lurker
Sep 14, 2016
I have read previous messages relating to the inability to update due to insufficient space, but my question is a little different.
I have a Galaxy Ace GT-S5830. When I bought it secondhand, WhatsApp was working perfectly. Then I received a message saying that my version of this expired (at the end of June, I think) and needed updating.
When I attempted to do this, yes - I got the "insufficient space". So I deleted all unused apps, still no luck. So I deleted WhatsApp and reinstalled it.
According to my Settings (Manage Applications, WhatsApp), it's there loud and clear: Application 28.59MB, Data 8.07MB. But it won't show any received messages because the messages page won't display.
What I get instead is a message to back up with Google Drive. So I select a frequency, choose an account (my gmail) and press to install Google Play PEGI 3.
I accept the things that have to be accessed... and then I get the Insufficient Storage again. So I view that, and it is:
SD Total space 14.14GB, available ditto, internal phone available space 18.54GB.
If I click the WhatsApp icon, I go back to the Google Drive setup screen again. And so on ad infinitum.
Having tried everything since the end of June, I am now just about desperate. Can anyone please advise how I can open the app that appears to be installed?
Many thanks, Alec.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones