• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp keeps crashing even after reinstall and factory reset

Python49

Sep 9, 2013
Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of this problem. My whatsapp today just started freezing up repeatedly and would not work. I tried all of the go-to solutions online as far as clearing whatsapp cache, hard reboots, checking for software updates (I'm using android 9 and it says software can't be updated further), uninstalling reinstalling whatsapp, and then a final option which has failed of completely hard-factory resetting the phone.
At this point I suspect the problem is the size perhaps of my chats and images? I have about 180,000 images on whatsapp and 1.7m messages. The total size of the backup file is 28gb on google drive. Each time I would uninstall and reinstall it would just start freezing. Then after this final attempt at factory resetting failed I decided to post.
Perhaps a samsung note 8 has a limit on file size for whatsapp to function?

Reactions: mikedt
Hello all,
Wondering if anyone has ever seen or heard of this problem. My whatsapp today just started freezing up repeatedly and would not work. I tried all of the go-to solutions online as far as clearing whatsapp cache, hard reboots, checking for software updates (I'm using android 9 and it says software can't be updated further), uninstalling reinstalling whatsapp, and then a final option which has failed of completely hard-factory resetting the phone.
At this point I suspect the problem is the size perhaps of my chats and images? I have about 180,000 images on whatsapp and 1.7m messages. The total size of the backup file is 28gb on google drive. Each time I would uninstall and reinstall it would just start freezing. Then after this final attempt at factory resetting failed I decided to post.
Perhaps a samsung note 8 has a limit on file size for whatsapp to function?

I suspect that's exactly what the problem is, the amount of data is simply too much for the WhatsApp app to handle. And the likely fix is trim it down. Do you really need WhatsApp to be storing 1.7 MILLION messages on your phone?

I have seen a similar problem myself with older versions of WeChat. Where the cache of messages, videos, pictures, etc. if it exceeded about 10GB, the app could become very sluggish and laggy, and would eventually grind to a halt. Tencent fixed that by limiting the amount of cache data WeChat would store locally on the device.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Yeah, I can certainly understand how it seems pretty crazy. I run most of my business through whatsapp so the records are pretty key for historical references. Being able to pull up pictures, messages, times, dates, certain group chats, etc. If I had known the whatsapp would hit a storage limit I would have just switched to a new phone while it was still capable of loading so that I could keep all the data. The way it is now, it can't bootup at all no matter what. My only hope is that maybe getting a more robust phone and trying to load it on that one will work since it's not working on the note 8. If I can boot it up on a stronger phone then I'd just buy the new phone to keep the records and then get another.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I can certainly understand how it seems pretty crazy. I run most of my business through whatsapp so the records are pretty key for historical references. Being able to pull up pictures, messages, times, dates, certain group chats, etc. If I had known the whatsapp would hit a storage limit I would have just switched to a new phone while it was still capable of loading so that I could keep all the data. The way it is now, it can't bootup at all no matter what. My only hope is that maybe getting a more robust phone and trying to load it on that one will work since it's not working on the note 8. If I can boot it up on a stronger phone then I'd just buy the new phone to keep the records and then get another.

I'm thinking if it's the same issue as the WeChat problem I mentioned, i.e. the database cache has become too bloated for the app to handle, then a new phone with more storage may NOT fix the problem. And a more beefier WhatsApp is needed, like a WhatsApp PROFESSIONAL for heavy duty business users, instead of the free consumer one. There is WhatsApp Business, https://www.whatsapp.com/business/ but I don't know if that would fix the problem or not.

I've used WhatsApp previously just to communicate with some family and friends, which of course would only be a few hundred messages and maybe a few pictures. Although since then we've all moved over to Telegram, mainly because WhatsApp is Facebook(Meta Inc.), and we don't trust that for privacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones