• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp notifications not working (late or only when I open the app)

VENOMs7000

Lurker
Jul 19, 2019
I keep getting notifications on my WhatsApp very late or some times not at all (until I decide to open the app). Also some times if the WhatsApp notifications decide to show up they dont make any sound. (restarting the device fixes it but still this is a problem).
I tried:
1. App -> special access -> turned off the battery optimization for WhatsApp

2. Excluded Whatsapp from the memory optimization RAM (in Device Care)

3. WhatsApp is allowed to run in foreground. (data saver is off)

4. Tampered with internal notification settings of the phone and in app settings inside WhatsApp .

I keep getting notifications on my WhatsApp very late or some times not at all (until I decide to open the app). Also some times if the WhatsApp notifications decide to show up they dont make any sound. (restarting the device fixes it but still this is a problem).
I tried:
1. App -> special access -> turned off the battery optimization for WhatsApp

2. Excluded Whatsapp from the memory optimization RAM (in Device Care)

3. WhatsApp is allowed to run in foreground. (data saver is off)

4. Tampered with internal notification settings of the phone and in app settings inside WhatsApp .

THE DEVICE IS Samsung S10e

Upvote 0
When you say WhatsApp is allows to run in the "foreground", I presume you mean "background"? If it's not allowed to run in the background that will be your problem.

Otherwise you've not said what you did with the notification settings, just that you "tampered" with them. I'd certainly set them as priority notifications, make sure no do not disturb rules are active.

Reactions: VENOMs7000
Upvote 0
When you say WhatsApp is allows to run in the "foreground", I presume you mean "background"? If it's not allowed to run in the background that will be your problem.

Otherwise you've not said what you did with the notification settings, just that you "tampered" with them. I'd certainly set them as priority notifications, make sure no do not disturb rules are active.

Rule of thumb is that factory out of the box settings should work in 99% of the cases. I tamperes as in went to apps-> WhatsApp and looked to make sure that some setting wasnt turned off or something. Everything seemed ok. I had sound and popup on.
Yes app can run in background as well. Priority notification is set. Even though I never used "do not disturb ".
I also tried factory erase and reset phone to try from scratch to see if out of the box config worked.
Nothing.
It is still being late or not showing unless I open app.

This doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes it works.

Upvote 0
Sometimes working does sound like the battery optimisation is kicking in, even though you've told it not to. Though if it thought that the app was open in the foreground it might also suppress notifications.

You've not got anything else handling notifications? Some notification customisation app, e.g. an app that uses the screen the emulate a notification light? Or forwarding notifications to a wearable? Just wondering whether there are any other links in the chain, since these might be places where conflicts could occur.

Upvote 0
Sometimes working does sound like the battery optimisation is kicking in, even though you've told it not to. Though if it thought that the app was open in the foreground it might also suppress notifications.

You've not got anything else handling notifications? Some notification customisation app, e.g. an app that uses the screen the emulate a notification light? Or forwarding notifications to a wearable? Just wondering whether there are any other links in the chain, since these might be places where conflicts could occur.

Absolutely not. I am very much opposed to using 3rd party apps in general. Much less for stuff that I should already have in my phone. So no there is no possibility of app conflict. I dont have any apps that tamper with notification system of my phone.

Thing is that you cant turn off the optimisation features at all. Just ask them to exempt an app you want. Which I did for all of my messaging apps.
Is this an issue that plagued Samsung for a while now?
I just came from iPhone and this is not a good start.
I saw threads dating to first launch of s7 and s8 with this problem. Doesn't seem to have been solved.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I tried exempting WhatsApp from any optimisation battery or memory.
I tried to turn off the auto optimise completely . As I remember that didnt help.

The thing is that none of this should be required from me. Because all of my friends have note9 s10 s9 and I know for a fact that they are too dumb to even turn off any of these things. Yet everything works for them.

Upvote 0
I genuinely don't understand the "opposed to using 3rd party apps" position, because that's saying "I accept whatever crap the manufacturer chooses to bundle", which to me is just self-defeating. But it means we can cross that off the list at least ;).

My daughter uses an S8 and has never had this problem. Nor for that matter has my wife's HTC, my son's Nokia or my Pixel, or any of my friends' or colleagues' phones. So I don't think this is a problem with Android or Samsung generally. Unfortunately that makes it harder to work out what specifically is the issue here, because if it's common we're more likely to have someone here who has encountered it.

Have you tried turning off the "adaptive battery" settings (Android 9 feature)? It shouldn't cause problems (it's on on my phone), but as we're looking for something that's misbehaving this is one possibility. I mean turning this off globally rather than excluding specific apps from the optimisation. I can't see a lot else on my phone that might be relevant: Samsung modify the OS and user interface more than almost anyone else, so I can't know what other options you might have on your device (the "memory optimisation" you mention is a Samsung addition, for example).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I turned off adaptive battery. From day one hahaha. So no dice.

As for 3rd party. Dont get me wrong. I delete EVERY bloatware that I can find. I also have apps (banking apps) and potential sensitive information on my phone. So I am in no rush to download every 3rd party app at the first suggestion.

I just dont like having to install something that should be working on the OS to begin with.
Especially if that app is written by a shady guy who wants access to your gallery, email and location for an app that is supposed to make your flashlight flash in patterns.

Upvote 0
Hah, yes, I'm always amazed that people install apps without checking permissions! A flashlight may need camera permission to activate the flash, and if it's ad-supported it will need internet access, but those are the maximum it needs: anything more and either it's malicious or the developer doesn't know what they are doing, and either way you don't want it. ;)

Upvote 0
Hah, yes, I'm always amazed that people install apps without checking permissions! A flashlight may need camera permission to activate the flash, and if it's ad-supported it will need internet access, but those are the maximum it needs: anything more and either it's malicious or the developer doesn't know what they are doing, and either way you don't want it. ;)
Exactly! I am ok with 3rd party apps. I am just advanced user cautious. I have seen the horror of unsupervised people downloading apps .

Upvote 0
FWIW, I *just* started having the exact same issues as the OP. Like in the last few days.

WhatsApp's most recent update was on July 1--so I don't see how this issue can be related to that. (I haven't read the thread.)

I've done nothing [yet] to fix it, because I didn't do anything to break it, you know?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones