• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp pic date created earlier than date modified?

Hello everyone,

For a whatsapp photo received from another contact in my samsung galaxy note 8, why is the date created later than date modified? (please see the picture attached)

upload_2022-3-8_18-30-20.png

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
Can't even imagine what the problem might be but just out of curiosity, why are you so fixated on things like creation and modification dates on what appear to be random photo files? Is there a practical reason as to why? This thread is just one more of other similar queries you've posted..

https://androidforums.com/threads/t...hour-by-turning-on-off-dst-windows-7.1007866/

https://androidforums.com/threads/wrong-whatsapp-photo-date-time-on-import-windows-10.1340028/
No, these aren't random files I am not posting this for shits and giggles so obviously there is a practical reason why because they are family photos taken on a vacation. Of course other posts didn't receive a reply so thats why im posting AGAIN. If you can take a look yourself you can clearly see with your eyes. Smdh.

Did someone send it to you from a different time zone?

Or the clocks on the two phones are 3 or 4 minutes off.
Yes, from halfway across the world from Toronto, ON, CAN + 10 hours. The picture was sent from another user to me, so is that the reason why the time is off because the sender's phone might be a few minutes off? Have you tested this in an experiment betwene 2 phones? It could be plausable now that you mention it... let me see if I can use my two phones as a test

[Edit] - it didn't work I set my s8 time forwards by 5 minutes and my note 8 time forwards by 10-15 minutes sill the date created and date modified remain the same. From reading other articles on google, it seems like the date created is only changed/updated when it's being moved or copied. So im wondering how can this photo be moved or relocated on my note 8 when it was directly sent from a user on whatsapp and why does the date created need to be changed....

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

For a whatsapp photo received from another contact in my samsung galaxy note 8, why is the date created later than date modified? (please see the picture attached)

View attachment 161841
Don't you mean an earlier date though, since you are on windows, can't you just click on it and see it? Making things really simple for you.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Are you only worried about the time frame, when I always use USB with my Moto with my Win 10,it always displays different time,I was showing you that in the example.
I am not using USB, I am using my desktop PC with win 10 and my samsung galaxy note 8. In the above, problem, yes for that particular picture only the time is affected but there are other pictures for which the date created AND time are later than date modified. I am trying to understand why whatsap did that and what caused it to happen....

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
I am not using USB, I am using my desktop PC with win 10 and my samsung galaxy note 8. In the above, problem, yes for that particular picture only the time is affected but there are other pictures for which the date created AND time are later than date modified. I am trying to understand why whatsap did that and what caused it to happen....
Oh sorry you where up late as well typing this up too, I fell half asleep when glancing on my monitor.

Upvote 0
I still haven't received a reply from that forum. Does anyone have any idea about this ? Also, i narrowed down the search results and found out that there are several images (approx 20-30 images) within my s8 or note 8 that ALL have the same date created which also appear to be after the date modified. The only time which I know of when the date created is later in time and have the same date and time is when those pictures are moved or copied to/from somewhere else ?? Any possible suggestions for this?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones