• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WhatsApp restore chat history

Pilch8129

Lurker
Jul 9, 2021
Hi

I changed from a galaxy s9+ to a S21 yesterday. I backed up my WhatsApp and used the USB C cable with smartswitch to transfer all my files and data over. When I opened WhatsApp on my new phone I did the phone verification and hit restore on the prompt but nothing restored. I realised the Gmail address it had set up wasn't the one with the back up on but regardless I had the local file backup.

I'm now stuck. I desperately want/need to restore my chats but I can't. The files are all there. If I uninstall and reinstall the app I don't get given the option to restore, I don't even get given the option to verify my number.

Help. I just don't want to lose my chats. If worse comes to worse I will take just saving them on PC somewhere.

Am I missing something? Should I transfer everything back to my old phone, reset this one and start again?!

Hi

I changed from a galaxy s9+ to a S21 yesterday. I backed up my WhatsApp and used the USB C cable with smartswitch to transfer all my files and data over. When I opened WhatsApp on my new phone I did the phone verification and hit restore on the prompt but nothing restored. I realised the Gmail address it had set up wasn't the one with the back up on but regardless I had the local file backup.

I'm now stuck. I desperately want/need to restore my chats but I can't. The files are all there. If I uninstall and reinstall the app I don't get given the option to restore, I don't even get given the option to verify my number.

Help. I just don't want to lose my chats. If worse comes to worse I will take just saving them on PC somewhere.

Am I missing something? Should I transfer everything back to my old phone, reset this one and start again?!

So really you setup WhatsApp on the S21 with a different WhatsApp account to your backup from the S9+? I'm not sure if you can import data from another WhatsApp account. You could try WhatsApp on the S21 using your original account email from the S9+?

FWIW recently I also used Smart Switch to transfer data(including WhatsApp) from a Huawei Mate10 to a Galaxy Note20 Ultra. But my WhatsApp account is linked to my phone number, not Gmail, and that transferred my WhatsApp chats etc. no problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
So really you setup WhatsApp on the S21 with a different WhatsApp account to your backup from the S9+? I'm not sure if you can import data from another WhatsApp account. You could try WhatsApp on the S21 using your original account email from the S9+?

FWIW recently I also used Smart Switch to transfer data(including WhatsApp) from a Huawei Mate10 to a Galaxy Note20 Ultra. But my WhatsApp account is linked to my phone number, not Gmail, and that transferred my WhatsApp chats etc. no problem.

I believe my WhatsApp is linked to my phone number - when I say Gmail I mean the Google drive account it backs up to. I've changed all the settings on my new phone back to the right Google drive but still nothing. I've unistalled it too many times now and have to wait 9 hours for a new verification code.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones