• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Whatsapp restore on new phone stuck at 31%

ymb1990

Lurker
Dec 26, 2017
hey everyone,
I've been running into a problem restoring my Whatsapp chats on my new Xiaomi A1.
I backed up my WhatsApp chats with my nexus 5 to my google drive. When I downloaded Whatsapp to my new phone and tried restoring from the drive using the same account the messages restored until 31% and then stopped. After a few minutes, I got a "restore failed" message.
I then tried restoring by transferring the backup file itself from my nexus 5 to the new phone. I deleted the app but left the app files on the phone. After reinstalling, once again Whatsapp tried restoring from the drive and got stuck. This time it asked if I want to restore from a local backup. This just got stuck from the beginning and didn't even show any progress...
I'm wondering if something is corrupt with the backup file itself.
A lot of these messages have sentimental value to me. Otherwise I would have just skipped the restoring process.
Anyone got any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones